Eolina information needed

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Quetscher
    Participant

Funny thing, I called that dealer because my Vib. has a problem with air leakage probably coming from moisture (sometimes the lower octave sounds with the higher when I play louder although the valve of the lower octave is definitely closed – and it doesn’t work the other way round!). I really don’t understand why the Victoria people didn’t use a wood that is usually taken for woodwind instruments, such as grenadille or cherry wood. And why they leave the wood compeletely untreated instead of at least staining or lacquering it. Perhaps it will sound a little less warm then, but I’m sure the difference will be negligible. Or why they didn’t learn from the accordina manufacturers who build an air chamber of plastic into their wooden instrument.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Quetscher, I think the air chamber of plastic would have solved a lot of moisture issues. Remember Victoria is an accordion manufacture so they were using basic accordion making theory and not taking to account the woodwind moisture issues. My Vibrandoneon does the same thing in regards to the lower octave when played hard (leakage). As for the wood material used in the making of the Vibrandoneon there are a couple of issues that come up, 1st, the wood material must be a workable, too hard of a wood may not machine as well as softwood. Also there are a lot of woods that are not really good for humans to be around “allergies” so this needs to be taken into consideration when a product is going to be sold and what possible issues the material chosen may cause in the future to the end user. I agree with you that the wood should at least be sealed with a good moisture repellent. If you have a lot of allergies a “food safe sealer” like what they use on wooden bowls or wooden spoons can be used. Normally you can use any finish, including varnish, lacquer, shellac, and boiled linseed oil as long as you allow for the proper curing time.
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

A plastic Vibrandoneon sounds very interesting. I stopped playing the Vibrandoneon because of all the moisture issues, including having to keep taking it apart to air it fully. Also a bit tired of cleaning out mould from the air chamber!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Troy, I am going to brush Concrobium in it and that should keep the mold out for a long time. Try the rice drying method and see if it works for you. I was reading that this is how they remove moisture from cell phones when they get wet, just with a lot more rice. I love the sound of the Vibrandoneon to much to keep it in the case. By the way they quoted $500 to install a (3) mic pick up from Sennheiser with volume control. What are your thoughts about a built-in pickup vrs one that just attaches from the outside. I kind of don’t want to have any holes drilled into the wood.
    Melodica-me

Daren
    Keymaster

I have to admit I’d be reluctant to drill any holes! My 2 mini gooseneck mics attach to the brackets that hold the front panel to the main body. No drilling necessary. They showed me how to do that when I bought the instrument in the factory shop in Castelfidard, Italy.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I would love to see how they are mounted. I am looking for a good setup and want it done right. I also want to make sure it works great. Not having any luck. I did use one set up from a sound company that did work great but it starts at $600.00 and they recommend an additional preamp that may be needed for some systems. 🙁 the one system that they quoted me, I can try out in the shop with out any installation, I just don’t feel good about drilling into it.
    Melodica-Me

Quetscher
    Participant

Hey Troy, Oscar,

I found that article about Vibrandoneon care.

http://www.akkordeon-maurer.de/documents/d/vibrandoneon-pflege.pdf

It says that you should only play with the original mouthpiece to prevent the air chamber from moisture. As soon as you hear a gurgling noise you should blow out the mouthpiece (meaning every five to ten minutes!). After use you should position the Vibrandoneon upright with open moisture holes – for this I use a K&M guitar stand like this one:

http://www.thomann.de/de/km_17580.htm

You should never keep it in the case but always keep it mounted when you don’t play. The case is ONLY for transport!
    Well, that’s what they say here; I really don’t know if this could guarantee a longer life of the Vibrandoneon, but perhaps it’s worth a try… Or do you take all these precautions and it still doesn’t work properly?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I normally keep my Hammond 44, Hohner 36 on melodica stands and my Mylodica on a stand upside down, the melodicas I don’t use as much I put them in their cases so they don’t get dusty. I guess I can store my Vibrandoneon in the curio cabinet upright to keep the dust out and see how that works.

Daren
    Keymaster

Melodica-Me

I just had a look for my mics, so I could take a photo of them attached to the Vibrandoneon, but realised that I’ve put them in storage. I haven’t used them for a very long time. They attach to the brackets using the same chunky Vibrandoneon screws that you have to remove to take the front panel off. So no drilling anywhere.

Daren
    Keymaster

Quetscher

Thanks for the links. The problem I had, was that the gurgling sound was always there to some extent when playing long sustained notes. So I made a selection of shorter pipes, which sorted this problem out. I always leave the airing holes open when not playing, but it doesn’t really allow enough air in to dry it out completely when I’m practising for several hours a day…

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

@Quetscher…
    So it sounds like the in/out breath produces the same note, just like on a regular bellows accordion. Is that correct?
    So the question then becomes, does the Eolina have 2 sets of reeds that are always engaged to produce octave?
    If that’s the case, and the BB Vibrandoneon is just a rebranded Eolina, then the black 37 note may well suite my purposes as a practice and back-up instrument.

Quetscher
    Participant

What I heard is that in the big Vibrandoneon there are two sets of reeds, one for blowing in, one for blowing out (my guess was that the bi-directional reeds caused too many problems…); I’m quite sure that in any case you can’t produce octaves with the new Vib. neither the big nor the small version (but the information policy of BB isn’t too good, so perhaps it’s better to wait until the first Vibrandoneon is out – I have got a retailer near my home who will be one of the first to receive the new Vib.)

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

All of this just makes me love my Vibrandoneon all the more. 🙂
    Plan as of this moment seems to be to get as good an instrument as I can find that’s around 37 keys and sounds as good as possible. That will be my main practice instrument, and I’ll just use the main box for performance and when I just want to wallow in its sound.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Jerry, I have been playing and collecting melodicas for a long time and the melodicas that have served me the best are my Hammond melodions. I know many will argue the abilities of their favorite melodicas in comparison to the Hammond but there is no other melodion with a larger keyboard for the exception of the Eolina, with a pick up built in for live performance, and the best responding keyboard all packed into one melodion. Two different models made with two different tones to choose from. Is it as rich sounding as a Vibrandoneon, absolutely not! That’s why I own a Vibrandoneon as well. Listen to my Monsters of Melodica video of “Giant Steps” with the Hammond hyper (almost sounds like a soprano Sax) and the video of “Sugar” with the 44H for a more darker tone. The highs are clear and the low are defined and not garbled. Did I mention that both Hammond models sound great in combination with my Vibrandoneon. It is important that you find your sound for the type of music you like to play and the melodica that will help you define your sound. I love and have been playing jazz music since the early 70’s and the Vibrandoneon is a great and beautiful sounding instrument that fits the bill perfect for me. It dosent hurt that It definitely makes a professional statement when you take it out of the case. I am hoping that the New Vibrandoneon BB will add to my sound and style.
    Melodica-Me

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button