3D printed mouthpiece

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Clep
    Participant

Howdy — long time no post. I wanted a new mouthpiece for my melodicas (mostly older Hohner Piano 36’s). I liked the mouthpieces they came with but also wanted to make some improvements so I modeled a mouthpiece and had it 3D printed. I think they turned out well.

I rounded some edges in various places, increased the size of the “lip” that goes behind your teeth, and smoothed the air flow on the inside (the originals have some sharp edges). I think they look good, and they certainly feel good in the mouth.

They fit well inside the 1/2″ rubber surgical tubing I use. Unfortunately the diameter is a bit too loose for a truly snug fit in the standard white corrugated tubing often used. (If you want to use it for that let me know and I could generate a better fitting model.)

In case anyone finds it useful, here’s an .STL file you can have 3D printed.

mouthpiece
    mouthpiece

I’m in the US and printed at JawsTec, in SLS Nylon PA2200 (which is a “food safe” material if you print in the default white color). I chose the “vapor polished” finish. It’s still a little rough, but not in a bad way. Looks and feels good. Was US$28 for four of them, delivered.

And here I will re-post the elbow for Hohner Piano 36’s that I also had 3D printed and which works great:

STL file is here.

hohner elbow

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

Well that’s exciting!
    Do you find the rubber tubing “giving” more than the stiffer corrugated plastic tubing? That is, mooshing up attacks a little?

Clep
    Participant

There is a tiny bit of stretch in the rubber tubing, but I can’t detect any practical difference. That said, I can’t detect a difference between playing directly (no tube), where others say they can, so I don’t know if I should be trusted. 🙂 More on the tube at this older post: https://melodicaworld.com/forums/topic/tubes-some-experiments/

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

I can definitely tell that its more powerful and precise with a hard, direct tube for me! I just need practice to have the thing so close to my face. I think there are longer, hard tubes out that that I should look into. or: 3d print them

Steve
    Participant

Thanks for this post and for sharing the files!

Clep
    Participant

You bet! Did you print any of them? I’d love to hear what material you used, how they turned out, see pics, etc. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button