New melodica build video

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

I went the opposite way in relation to the mouthpiece precisely because of the amount of condensed water that interrupts the reeds.

This is interesting André – do you empty the tube out regularly?

André Sant’Anna
    Participant

Yes. It depends on the weather like I said, but every 20 minutes on average when I’m playing.
    After some time playing, the water that condenses inside the tube starts bubbling when I blow and when it happens I know I need to empty it. All that water would be inside the melodica! When it bubbles, I disconnect the tube and blow it hard a few times to empty it so I can continue playing. It’s quick.

Since you’re a melodica builder, I think it’s a good idea to make a longer path to the reeds so the water can condense before it gets there. I think Oscar did that, as I noticed there are some “curves” in his models’ mouthpieces (Diamanté Vox, I think). Also, I assume that if the material before the reeds is made of some kind of metal, the water tends to condense there first. I would like to test it with the Suzuki Andes mouthpiece, as it is made of metal.

Daren
    Keymaster

This is a subject I’m always interest in – the moisture on the reeds problem. I have made longer mouthpieces, but I don’t like being too far from the reeds. I’ve also tried passing the air through silica gel chambers before the reeds, but it takes away from the expression.

The Sheng has a chamber which is filled with hot water to keep the instrument warm. It’s so simple, it’s probably the way forward, perhaps with a slightly longer mouthpiece with a U bend

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button