New melodica build video

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daren BanarsëDaren Banarsë
    Keymaster

I started filming bits of my melodica making process last year. When I looked through it, I realised I had enough to make a start to finish video, which was never the original plan. I’m happy with this instrument – it has a good tone, and plays well…

Participant

I got a look at your video yesterday Daren. Wow! That blew me away. I’ve been searching for a melodica with accordion or concertina reeds too and it was looking like I was going to have to Frankenstein an accordion and melodica. As someone who has a melodica with accordion reeds what’s your view of the difference in sound between yours and say a Suzuki 44H?

Keymaster

Hey, thanks for watching! It’s a long time since I’ve played a Hammond 44, so I can’t do a direct comparison. From memory, my instrument has a cleaner tone. Its less fuzzy, which is great, but also more challenging to play, because I find I have to be more accurate!

Participant

Looks and sounds fantastic, let me know if you fancy taking commissions!

Participant

I really loved to know your melodica building process, Daren.

So instructive and delightful. So many details to worry about.

One question: It seems to me that the internal parts printed in 3D was inspired by the Yamaha model (with some changes, of course) but you used single reeds in your project. Did you have to change the size of the place where to put the reed in comparison with the Yamaha’s reed plate? I don’t know if I made myself clear, haha

Thanks for sharing!

Keymaster

Did you have to change the size of the place where to put the reed in comparison with the Yamaha’s reed plate?

Yes, I learned 3D design originally from reconstructing a Yamaha P37D. I actually lost that file! But this one was based on the same principle, but has different dimensions everywhere. I think I kept the key size exactly the same. I actually wanted to see what the P37 would sound like with single reeds, and tried some modification experiments, and couldn’t get it to work. This one has different reed chamber sizes, and a place to put a steel rod (like the Hohner Pro 36), some guides for the keys etc

Looks and sounds fantastic, let me know if you fancy taking commissions!

Thanks Conner, I’d love to start making them, but they just take too long!

Participant

I wanted to view this several times before commenting, Daren. Marvelous video, incredible project and inspiring demonstration of your melodica’s sound at the end. You are a man of too many talents.

Keymaster

Thanks Alan! It feels good to have arrived at an instrument I’m really happy with after so many years. I hope one day you’ll be able to try it!

Participant

Very interesting stuff! Thank you for sharing!

Keymaster

Glad you liked it Max 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button