Yamaha P37D vs Suzuki M37

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

My prediction is that whichever one you buy, you’ll think you made the right decision. But maybe you should buy what is arguably the best Suzuki, the A-34C, which is bit mellower sounding than the M-37C. Construction quality of the A-34C is comparable to that of the M-37C, but the A-34C is more compact and noticeably lighter. It has three fewer keys, lacking the low F and F# and the high F.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ishibashi/item/suzuki-melodion-a-34c/

Shipping from Japan to the U.S. is about $40.

Carter
    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. If there’s anything else I don’t know about either of them please tell me. I’m still deciding…

Lowboy
    Participant

Many good points made in this post.

This is what I heard in Beezer’s recordings: the Suzuki had a fuller and darker sound. I think the Suzuki sound, along with the slightly less precision in its sound, would fit gipsy jazz manouche music better than the Yamaha. Not that I know what manouche is, but if we are talking gipsy, we are talking Suzuki. 🙂

Lowboy

Carter
    Participant

Interesting once again. Hopefully I’ll make a decision soon. Thank you all once again for all your points and responses!!

barb
    Participant

When I play a Suzuki M 37, the tone seems to me to have more personality then the Yamaha 37. The Yamaha 37 color seems more middle of the road, and therefore might blend in more situations. I do find that the Suzukis get water in the reed gap a lot more often than the Yamaha’s after I have been playing for a while. so in that way I find the Yamaha to be safer in performance. And sometimes I wonder if it’s maybe easier to blow out a reed on a Suzuki. But I would usually rather play the Suzukis, so I just make sure I have two of them with me.

Matthew Irwin
    Participant

When you add the 5 keys to the Yamaha 37, where are they on the scale? (high notes?) Also, those of you that play the 32 more often, is it because of portability? It’s more comfortable to hold in the hand (and you prefer to play that way)? Thanks!!!!!!!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

In current models, the extra notes are added at the top end. I prefer 32 key models because of compactness and how the melodica balances in my left hand. I don’t use the hand strap.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    I currently own a Hohner Performer 37 and I would like to have a better melodica. Most people seem to say that the p37d would be a better choice. I agree that the Yamaha sounds louder. However, I’m wondering which of the two has the best building quality. I know that the Suzuki M-37C is made of metal, but what about the p37d? Also, how comfortable are the mouth pieces? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Olivier

Paul Durham
    Participant

The P37D is plastic but superior in quality and tone to other less expensive instruments, Though if you watch for a good deal you can acquire the yamaha P37D for only a few dollars more than the Performer. Do you like a more resonant tone. That is the main difference in having a metal case. The build quality is pretty much the same. Longer service is the number one reason to upgrade. I have all 3 in my collection.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks for the information. About the resonance, I like the one of the Performer37. Is their a big difference between the Performer 37 and the P37D? Is it worth the upgrade? Also, I didn’t understand what you meant when you said “Longer service is the number one reason to upgrade.” What service are you talking about?
    Olivier

Paul Durham
    Participant

Oliver. more users are happy with the factory tuning o the Yamaha Pianicas. The tuning will also last longer in most cases. Having to do less repairs and maintenance is what I mean by longer service. How you play and what you play will determine whether upgrading is worth the cost.
    Also let me say, I did not comment on mothpiece as I always use the tube.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hi, Olivier. The build quality and the sound of either the Suzuki M-37C or the Yamaha P-37D is noticeably better than that of the Performer 37. It’s well worth the step up. I believe you’ll be able to tell that right away. The Suzuki metal tray and Yamaha models typically come pretty well tuned from the factory and hold their tuning well. Between the P-37D and the M-37C, I think it’s a matter of personal preference, and you’d have to play them both to know. Can’t go wrong with either one, though. I prefer the Yamaha, and it’s less expensive. I wouldn’t worry about service or tuning in making a choice.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    Thank you so much for your answers. Once I have a chance to go into a music store, I will check this out. According to what a guy told me when I called is that the P37D doesn’t seem to still be sold. He’s supposed to contact me back about this. I know that the M37C is available. I will eventually go in the store an hopfely trying it. I will give you feedback about my experience for sure.
    Olivier

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The best place to buy these melodicas is usually on line, at Amazon for Yamahas and probably on eBay for the metal tray Suzukis, though these are also sometimes available on Amazon. The Suzukis usually have to be delivered from Japan, but not necessarily the Yamahas. Both are easily avialable, though not from music stores.

Olivier
    Participant

I personnally prefer to buy these in a real store because I can try them. I also prefer this because I can’t return the instrument if I don’t like it. Also, because I am blind, I need to touch the melodica to actually make an image of it in my mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button