Yamaha P37D vs Suzuki M37

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Julie C.
    Participant

Hi all,
    Alan, I dragged a pic into bottom since there’s no “upload pic” in menu above this text box, hope it shows up, let me know. That’s Excalibur (piece of junk folks!!!) 37 with no mouthpiece in it obviously. Only good thing about it.
    Thanks for pics and info Alan! What a big help. My brother looked at them last night and thinks he can come up with a fix, just based on looking at your pics. Olivier, in next reply I will try as best as I can to describe the Yamaha I am borrowing, wish I knew French for you.
    I guess I will go with Suzuki M32C blue, because the only black ones are 37’s, and I am after a lower weight (the Yamaha P37D is approximately 1600 g, or 3.5 pounds, the Suzuki M37 is 947 g, or approximately 2 pounds and the Suzuki M32C blue (blue is only new one I see available at eBay and, more expensive, at Amazon) is 765 g or approximately 1.7 pounds. Could not figure out weight of my Excalibur (did I mention it’s a ripoff and the sellers are sleazy?) but guessing it’s about a pound or so.
    I’ll let you all know how I like the M32C!

/Users/juliecleveland/Desktop/melodicpic1.jpg

Martin M
    Participant

The Yamaha P37D weighs less than the Suzuki M-37C. Perhaps the 3.5 lbs you quoted for the P37D includes its hard-shell carrying case?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Just weighed the P-37D with mouthpiece in, about 1 lb. 12 oz (791 grams). It definitely feels lighter than the Suzuki M-37C. I think you were looking at shipping weight of melodica plus case, as Martin suggests, Julie.

You have to link the photo at another url — I do from my SmugMug photo site. I didn’t want to trash anyone’s melodica, but I know the Excalibur is a rip-off. Like some other “American” brands, it is made in China but presented, implicitly if not explicitly, as hand crafted in the U.S.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I was thinking about M-32 in my earlier comments about black. Black is the normal color of the M-37C, but the alternative M-32 is REALLY black and especially cool looking, as shown here:

While we’re on alternatives, I thought I should mention the delightful little Yamaha P-25F, currrently at $51 US from Amazon with free shipping for Prime members. On many tunes it requires some transposition and improvisation, but that’s not such a bad thing. My P-25F (or P-25E) is always out on my desk. It’s so easy to pick up and pack anywhere.

Paul Durham
    Participant

Today is the first look that I’ve had at the black M32. It isn’t shown on You Tube videos on the Suzuki line. It has beautiful features much like the M37. Thanks, Alan.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    I called back the guy which I spoke with last weak. He told me that Yamaha did not make the P37D anymore and that the ones that are available on Internet are probably some of their remaining ones. So their will be no way for me to see it before actually buying it. If they don’t produce them anymore, do you think it will have a warranty on it? I will wait to see the Suzuki M37C before making my final decision. As other people told it here, I might buy one first and then buy the other one. I don’t know yet. I will keep you updated once I tried the M37C in a music store.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Olivier,

I seriously doubt that this guy knows what he’s talking about. The P-37D can still be bought new at Amazon.com. It is the long time flagship model of Yamaha Pianica. I have seen no other signs, on Japanese sites or elsewhere, that the P-37D is being phased out. The only way I can see that happening is if it is being replaced with a new model, and the new model would be on the market before the P-37D was removed. Yamaha Music is a very conservative company. They would probably notify the Canadian Parliament before discontinuing the P-37D Pianica.

You probably cannot get your hands on either a Yamaha P-37D (or other Yamaha) or a Suzuki M-37C or M-32C before buying one.

A warranty on a melodica is pretty much meaningless. If it is defective, you’ll know right away. The listing on Amazon says that it is “Fulfilled by Amazon,” which means that although the source is in Japan, it is stocked in an Amazon warehouse and can be returned if it is defective or even if you just don’t like it. I buy regularly from Amazon and sometimes return items. They are very good about returns. Amazon says this on their site:

“Amazon handles all customer service and product returns for “Fulfilled by Amazon” items.”

Life is too short to agonize for weeks over a hundred dollar returnable item.

Although the Suzuki M-37C can be purchased through Amazon, it is shipped from Japan and is not “fulfilled by Amazon.” So return of the Suzuki would be problematic.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello Alan,
    Thank you for all of these informations. I never bought something on Amazon by myself so I don’t really know their policies. But now it’s more clear with your explainations. Thanks again.
    Olivier

Lowboy
    Participant

You have to love a short melodica in gloss black. Lowboy

Kevin
    Participant

Just to chime in.
    I’ve returned several melodicas to Amazon over the years both sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon and I’ve never had any trouble or hassle.

Julie C.
    Participant

I was talking about the M32 Suzuki. Not the 37 Suzuki, as far as weight. Whatever. The Yam P37 is too heavy for me. Ordered the Suzuki M32C which appears to be lighter, so hope that will work.
    And RATS!! I ordered from Japan the stupid BLUE Suzuki M32C, I couldn’t find that black one (M32C) anywhere, which is what I wanted. Only could find the M37 Suzuki in black (looked on Amazon and eBay). Damn it. 90 bucks for nothing. I didn’t want a blue one. Argh. Where did you find that black one? pls tell me you’ve had it forever, and they are no longer made. God damn it.
    Olivier–the Yamaha P37 sounds beautiful, I say go for it you will not regret it. I’m sure I’ll get it later to play tangos, classical, etc. but I wanted something REALLY much lighter for now so I could run around with it everywhere.
    Grrr. G’nite all, bad mood, just saw bloody hardy mums out everywhere, the harbinger of fall. Not pleasant for this beach-lovin’ gal.

Julie C.
    Participant

And could one of you tell me how to upload pics, because there isn’t a button here ^^^ for pics upload. Thanks in advance.

Julie C.
    Participant

Sorry Alan, missed your info re: pics.
    Excalibur: Total. Piece. Of. Shit. I got completely ripped off by those guys, $150 bucks for a melodica not worth $30, Jim Labbs or whatever his name is, out in Wisconsin, they sell through eBay. Claim their instrument is “professional” and have a guy demo’ing it in a YouTube video, but of course the sound pumped up by amplification, mic’g, whatever. Huge delay in shipping after I paid promptly was because the old guy who “hand tunes them first” was out sick (he was 80, for all I knew he was gonna drop dead any minute). So I get it and it’s like a Stagg, just a toy, only black, not red (bro gave me a red Stagg for Christmas). Went out of tune immediately. No spit valve (that works). My brother tuned it as best he could, it went out again. I’ve been playing only the 32 keys (not 37) for a while cos it’s been out of tune so long. Anyone wanna buy my brand new BLUE Suzuki M32C? I’ll ship it to ya gratis if I can figure out where to get a black one, cos that’s the one I wanted!

Paul Durham
    Participant

Julie c. — I have played melodica most of my life. Like you, I like black the best and find it alwways adds some sense of seriousness to the melodica. I have spent nearly the last year trying out melodicas and passing many along to friends just wanting to have some firsthand knowledge about them.
    I never saw the black M32 until Alan sent us his picture. He shops more Japanese sites, That may be the secret! I hope you will at least enjoy the blue M32C in the meantime. It really is a beautiful instrument.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

If I see another black M-32, Julie, I’ll let you know. You should play the blue one for a while, though! I personally think it’s a good looking instrument, in addition to being a truly excellent melodica.

I think I mentioned before that I gave my black M-32 away about a month ago. It was to one of my closest friends who plays professionally. I tuned it for him to A=440. As much as I liked it, I was actually playing the blue one. And he is a much better player than I am! If it turns out that he’s not using it, he might give it back.

To be linked here, your photo has to be already online at another site. I use SmugMug, but there are several free sites for posting photos. I just copy the web address for the photo and paste it into my message.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button