What the Heck is This Melodica?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Okay Melodica People:

Watch this YouTube video and please give your opinion as to what kind of melodica is this gentleman playing.

My guess is he built a custom case and mouthpeice around a regular melodica, giving it a chamber and a sound hole from which to mic it from. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1If2V2mnRtM

Regards,

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It has 37 keys and he appears to be using a Hammond 44 mouthpiece, so my guess is that it is a Suzuki, and with the 37 keys that would make it a Pro 37, in a custom case as you suggest.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I have seen videos of Tommy Cho, yes I agree that they are regular Melodicas in custom made housing. I don’t hear any thing very different from the housing but the sound in the videos can really change depending on the platform you are hearing it on from what is actually produced live. I would love to hear one live. He has another one with a plexiglass housing with the similar look. He is quite the performer very animated. I think he has a website I know he is on Facebook. Maybe he will join us here on Melodicaworld, I will message him and see if he will join us.
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Lowboy, on some of the videos they look like Yamaha Pianica’s the name of his group is Pianica soul, nice
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Good eye Alan

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Here are some photos from their Web site. The mouthpiece definitely looks like it’s from a Hammond 44, but looks like it may have an adapter and melodica has the kind of spit button that’s on a Yamaha, rather than the lever the Suzuki Pro 37v of M-37C does. So I think you’re right, Melodica-Me, and it’s a Yamaha Pianica P-37.

Alan Brinton
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button