Trouble shooting broken melodica

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

I recently decided to try and tune my melodica because I am planning to record a little bit. After I opened up and took the case off I set it down to tune for the next day. Now no sound is coming out of the melodica even when I put the case back on. I am not seeing anything wrong with it and am wondering what possibly could have caused it to stop working.
    Thank you

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Kyle, what do you mean by ‘case’? The melodica should work without the outer case, but won’t make any sound unless the ‘inner case’ (where you get to the reeds for tuning) is closed and sealed. Have you closed this section and screwed it shut?

Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

Yes I never unscrewed the metal part where the reeds are. I thought it should work without the other case but it wasn’t working, and then I tried to put everything back just to double check and that didn’t fix it.

Daren
    Keymaster

Ok, what model melodica do you have?

Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

Yamaha P37D

Daren
    Keymaster

Are you getting any sound at all?

Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

No, there is just the sound of air going through. Possibly leaking somewhere but I can’t tell. But no notes are sounding even a little bit.

Daren
    Keymaster

Ok, you’ll have to go through every step of what you’ve done in detail, then I can point out what the problem might be. Can you also link to photos?

Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

I was able to play it after I took the case and everything off, it’s just that the next day when I tried to play it wouldn’t. Possibly could’ve bumped something while moving it to a different room or something. Maybe you’ll be able to see something out of place. The small rubber lining might have been thrown away by one of my roommates but I don’t think that should have anything to do with it being able to produce sound.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Kyle, when you play it now does it sound like air is leaking out and is the volume low.

Melodica-Me

Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

Yeah it does sound like there is a lot of air leaking. But volume is non existent. Even when I am not pressing key a lot of air is coming out.

Kyle Johnson-Evers
    Participant

AH, so that rubber lining is really important in keeping the air in. So now that I do not have that the it won’t sound because the air is leaking. Does that mean I have to order some new rubber lining for it to work?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

That is the most common cause of air leaks in most melodicas. Unfortunately I do not own a Yamaha P37d, maybe someone on here knows where to order a gasket for the P37D
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

The small rubber lining might have been thrown away by one of my roommates

You need the rubber seal to make the instrument airtight, it won’t work without it.

You can make one quite simply out of leather if you have the tools. You’ll need a long ruler and a craft knife. You can buy a leather skirt or trousers from a charity shop and use that.

Or if you want to buy a replacement in the US, phone 888-892-6242 (option #1)
    Part number: W4130341 (FRAME PACKING P-37D)

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It you’re in the U.S., Paul, I can send you some gasket tape that might do the job. You’ll find my email address in my profile. If you decide to try leather, I suggest getting leather lacing from a craft store such as Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, etc. It comes in various widths and they can advise you as to what kind of glue to use. But gasket tape that adheres on one side is easier. I’ve used it it on several other melodicas though not on a Yamaha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button