New member with vintage Suzuki M 36

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Henning Adam König
    Participant

Hello, as a new member, I would like to introduce myself: I sing in choir and play piano. For some days I bought a used Suzuki M 36. I am interested in the connection of these genres Vocal and Key.
    My instrument:
    After a cleaning I have also made a tuning test, the instrument is except for the reference tone A uniform, but detuned.
    But there are still two tones, which only take the air very delayed. I’ve already plucked the tongues and cleaned the instrument with a cleanser for mouthpieces. It is now better, even since I play the instrument. But the effect is still noticeable, especially when I play fast or in chords. It would be nice if I find with you suggestions the problem. Many thanks and greetings from Henning

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’m not sure I understand what you are saying about the tuning of your M-36, Henning. Most melodicas come from the factory tuned to a standard closer to A=442 or even A=443 rather than to A=440. The melodica can be tuned down to 441 or 440. I have done this with some of mine, but I think I’d use it for a while to see whether you really feel this is necessary, especially in relation to vocal music.

The reeds for the keys with the delay may need to have their gap adjusted. If you search “gapping” in the forums here, you will find discussion about this and how to do it. The gap is the distance between the reed plate and the open end of the reed. The very bottom keys of a 36 key melodica, though, tend to be less responsive than the higher keys. This is not unusual, and you should get accustomed to it. Gapping is not likely to help with that.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button