Looking for a Suzuki M-37C

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kyri
    Participant

My very first post and I am hoping someone can help me.I have quite a few melodicas but I have been hearing some very good things about a particular model of melodica to the point where I would like to purchase one
    so..

Does anybody know whether someone is selling or there is a music outlet in the U.S where I can purchase Suzuki M-37C. I need it be in the U.S as someone I know is there for a couple of weeks and can bring it back to me if I’m luck enough to find one.
    Thanks,
    Kyri

Paul Durham
    Participant

I was able to get one a few months ago from California using Ebay. I checked but there wasu none this morning. Where you are they are most available online directly from Japan. Yes, the M37C is a fabulous melodica. You would enjoy the responsiveness and the great tone !

kyri
    Participant

Thanks for your reply,Paul.It seems that this melodica is really quite something.I actually checked on Ebay myself and ,as you say,none available.I know that they’re readily available in Japan but I’m, based in Viet Nam and that being so, I saw getting one while I have someone in the U.S as a better alternative …no import costs for a start!!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Music stores in the U.S. usually do not have melodicas in stock, kyri, and is highly unlikely to find an M-37C in stock here. As far as I know (and I follow the market), the M-37C always ships from Japan.

I have a friend in Vietnam to whom I have sent packages. The shipping is expensive from here. To have an M-37C shipped here from Japan is about $40-45. Do you think it would be more than that to Vietnam? You can check for the M-37C on Rakuten, Buyee, or Chuya and see the shipping cost. Would you have to pay import duty on a single melodica in Vietnam? That doesn’t sound right. If so, you could avoid that by having it sent as a gift, which I guess would involve getting it ordered in someone else’s name.

But you might also check Amazon.com Japan and see what they say about shipping to Vietnam.

kyri
    Participant

Hi Alan..Thanks for your detailed reply. I’ve actually been starting to think that the M-37C isn’t available in th U.S and your post seems to confirm this.As far as import duty in Viet Nam,I actually had a melodica sent to me from New York last year and the import duty made it a very expensive melodica!I know through having been here quite a while there is no way around paying it…Quantity or as gift not relevant!!

I checked out Japan as you suggested but still same import duties..

David I Am
    Participant

For what little it is worth, I have imported melodicas to the united states from japan and haven’t been hassled by any import duties – case in point, my recent purchase of a Yamaha P37D from ‘UJC Mart Japan’ via product page https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y7LVES – that would seem to indicate its possible to get such instruments in from Japan without particular hassle.

“Packages whose declared value is under $800 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared without any additional paperwork prepared by CBP”

from https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

Indicate that you’re unlikely to have a duty problem with low level internet imports to the united states, which reflects my experience.

kyri
    Participant

Hi David.Thanks for letting me know and that link…very helpful.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

There’s no problem with import duty on melodicas sent to the U.S. Shipping to Vietnam seems to be tbe problem. But I have sent packages of books to Vietnam, always indicating “gift” on the customs form, without the recipient having to pay import duty. Having the package marked “musical instrument” might make a difference. Some shippers provide the option of sending as a gift and/or of other special shipping instructions.

Paul Durham
    Participant

There is an auction on ebay today —- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-SUZUKI-MELODION-M-37-/232402335278?hash=item361c42362e:g:WtMAAOSwuq9ZYVhV I hope this is what you need.

kyri
    Participant

Sorry I haven’t answered both above post earlier but I’ve been away from “cyberspace” \for a while!!
    So,firstly,Alan thanks for your take on it but through my own experience something like a musical instrument will immediately attract import duty…I learned this the hard way last time I had a melodica imported ..Perhaps it was the colourful nature of the Hohner airboard that made me have to pay twice the original price?Who knows!!
    AND
    Thanks Paul for managing to find the M-37C in the U.S for me.It’s really very good of you to put in the effort.My first temptation has been to just buy it but the fact that it shows as second hand and the ebay site has a no returns policy has me wondering.Maybe I’m being too cautious because I’d love to see what this model is like to play…

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Got it. I’m pretty sure the M-37 in the eBay add is not the M-37C, but rather the earlier M-37 that was made from 1977-1999.

Where will your friend be in the U.S.? Will that friend be able to have something shipped to him or her here?

Here is an M-37C in Japan with a buyout price of about $55 U.S. It would have to be shipped to you to get there in time. It’s on auction and there are only 10 hours left (though it could be relisted if not sold). There would be modest fees added and the cost of shipping. The same site has others for not much more, though you have to bid on them. I have purchased here many times with no problems. Current models have seldom been used much if at all.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/b256808940

Have you considered the M-32C (which I think is a little better though with fewer keys)? But there would be the same buying and shipping issues.)

kyri
    Participant

Hi Alan..I was a little late for the auction so i missed out. As far as 32 keys..I actually do have a Hohner airbord 32 key but I do prefer playing with 37 keys.It’s interesting though that you think it might be a little better…

For now,I’m off to Europe in a couple of weeks and I have decided that I will wait until I get there to pursue my “M-37C”

so thanks to all who responded to my search …

kyri
    Participant

(WHO responded)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button