I need some help with a reed ended up under the plate (Hohner Cassotto 26)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alessandro
    Participant

Hi there, I was tuning my Hohner Cassotto 26 but I screwed up. I was tuning my central A when I accidentally pressed the reed too much, and now it is bent and finished under the metal plate.

Any idea on how to re-put it in the right position? I also thought of completely disassembly the whole melodica but I cannot go further than that (see photo below), who knows whether due to a lack of tools or competence.

Any help is really appreciated as I care about this little jewel so much since I used to play it for my beloved father.

a big hug and happy New Year’s Eve,

Alessandro

photo

(for some reason, you should open this link in another panel of your browser to see the picture, if you just click on it, it says it cannot be opened)

Alessandro
    Participant

EDIT: I managed to recover it in the right position but now, for some reason, it’s no more an A4, but a G5 (maybe I ruined the reed)!
    I guess I’ll bring it to some with a proper expertise in accordions and reed instruments.
    Anyway, if you have any suggestions, I’ll appreciate them.

best,

Alessandro

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Wow, Alessandro. That reed got pushed way down in there. I’ve had this happen a few times, to a lesser degree and have managed to work starting near the base of the reed with a needle and then an injector razorblade to finally pry the end back up.

My guess from what you say is that the reed is shot. A single reed can be replaced, but probably neither you nor I would be able to do that. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to acquire another Hohner HM-26, the regular one that corresponds to the Cassotto 26. That will be easier to find and cheaper than a Cassotto. It is exactly the same as the Cassotto, except for the silver box (“cassotto”) on the bottom. Otherwise, the parts are interchangeable. What you’ll do is to mount the box on the HM-26 and it will be “cassotto-ized.” I have actually done this with a Cassotto 26 because of reed issues. It plays and sounds no different from an original Cassotto except that your new one doesn’t have the logo.

The alternative is to remove the regular HM-26’s reed plate and use it to replace the damaged reed plate of the Cassotto-26. This is doable. I have replaced reed plates, but I wasn’t confident about taking that approach with my Cassotto.

Finally, it’s possible that you could order new reed plates from Hohner. I’m guessing this might be more expensive than harvesting them from a used instrument.

There are HM-26 Hohners out there, as you probably know. You might have to watch eBay for a bit to find one at a reasonable price. Some of them are old-stock new. I have an extra HM-26 or two, though I’m not looking to sell them, and shipping to Italy would be prohibitive.

Maybe someone will be able to suggest a better approach. If a reed jumps from A4 to G-5, it is a goner.You’d need a chain saw to tune that back down to A4.

Alessandro
    Participant

Hi Alan! Thanks for your kind and complete response! I have to say you’re a bit of a legend to me, since I read many of your posts and answers through the years. I’m actually delighted to have your consideration.
    I think I’ll go for the “acquire another Hohner HM-26” solution; it’s the safest, easiest, and cheapest one too! I only have one more question; it could be trivial, but I prefer to be surer now than disappointed later =)
    When you say Hohner HM-26, you’re referring to Piano 26, aren’t you? Are they the same item? I made some research and apparently they are, but I guess that your words are better than my research.

In other words, are you referring to this?

Link to photo

Many thanks for your kindness and happy New Year!

Alessandro

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words, Alessandro. And a Happy & Healthy New Year to you.

Yes, also shown on top in this photo:

Hohner Piano Series

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button