How to make vibrating sound?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Maze
    Participant

Hi, I’m pretty new to playing melodica and I haven’t learned any other intruments before.

15 seconds into this song, the sound of the melodica has a vibrating sound to it. How do you make this sound?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The tip of the tongue is vibrating. Try puffing an “H” sound with your mouth slightly open several times. Then you need to get the front part of your tongue to vibrate just below and against the top of your mouth. Practice this without using the melodica until you get the feel of it. You may find it easier to get the sound without a mouthpiece and easier with some mouthpieces than others. I think this is what you’re looking for, but someone else can probably get closer or offer clearer instructions. You’re not doing the vibrating with the muscles of your tongue, you are positioning the tongue in such a way that the air vibrates it.

Maze
    Participant

Cool, thanks for the help.

So it’s basically like a rolling R? Or trill?

I have never been able to do those, but I guess I need to start practicing then 🙂

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Easier than those, I think, which I also can’t do. Getting the feel for doing it is one thing, though, and incorporating it into your playing is another.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Maze,

I strongly recommend that you listen to recent sound samples posted by Quetscher and see posts by jazzman1945 (Search “The Amazing Melodica”) and Lowboy Bootay describing different techniques. Lots of sound samples also by Lowboy. Quite a lot can be learned by trying to imitate what you’re hearing — recorded music also, but especially these demonstrations by skilled players who are sharing sound samples.

Research Masters focusing on Melodica and Composition (Split: 2017 Melodica Goals!)

Alan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button