Research Masters focusing on Melodica and Composition (Split: 2017 Melodica Goals!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

It’s great seeing such love for the melodica. This year I will be finishing my Research Masters which I’m focusing on Melodica and Composition. Very exciting and love showing people what it can do.

I’m hoping to find people I can ask a few questions about the melodica to help with my research. Listening to people’s work would be great as well, so if this is something anyone is interested in please get in contact!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

What a great research topic! You probably already know of Eugen Doga and of Japanese composers such as Nakoto Namura who use the melodica in composition. Also the great Brazillian composer whose name slips my mind, the one who sparred with Miles Davis. (I’m not where I can search without aborting my post!)

There have been some posts here, especially by Jazzman1945, about the value of the melodica for learning improvisation. That was one of my reasons for taking up the melodica.

You might find it useful to pose a few questions here for general conversation, so people with relevant knowledge and expertise can jump in.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hermeto Pascoal.

Thanks Alan, I had not actually come across Eugen Doga! So already posting here is helping. Makoto Namura is very interesting as he has a video showing off some extended techniques which I am very interested in as I want to compose studies based around different techniques.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZ0fM8ltwc – here is the video if anyone is interested.

I would love to know what extended techniques people here have across with the melodica. I am aware that ‘Lowboy’ has some studies they have put on the forum which are very interesting.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Nathan

This sounds like a great idea.

Are you planning to learn these extended techniques, and play them yourself in your “studies”? I’m sure it would make a popular youtube video.

As well as Lowboy, there’s also of course Quetscher, who’s mastered some great techniques.

Have you composed much for melodica so far?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

How could I forget to mention our resident composer and Melodica World Founder, Daren Banarse? My bad.

Hi Daren, great to hear from you!

I am getting the hang of a few interesting techniques you have shown here. My idea will be to put on a concert in Coventry in the UK where I will perform original pieces for various ensemble groups and solo melodica. For instance, piano and melodica, melodica solo, melodica duo, melodica quintet and melodica with my function band, which is where I use it most anyway.

Do you have any melodica composition Daren I could analyse and maybe reference in my academic paper?

Also I have a few questions which I am using to gather information from melodica players around the globe. If any one here could answer a few that would be a great help!

Binyomin
    Participant

Hi Nathan! Your research masters topic sounds intriguing. Will it be public when completed? I’d love to see it.

I’d be happy to answer some questions about how I’m using melodicas in an (I think) unusual context. I play vibrandoneon and various Hammond melodions including bass melodion with my Breslov Bar Band project. Not so much original composition (aside from intros/interludes/riffs/improvisation) as exploring the sound including layering it with various other reed instruments like clarinet, bass clarinet and/or baritone sax. (You can get a surprisingly effective funk reed section with melodica, clarinet, and baritone sax.) Klezmer and Middle/Eastern music meets rock, ska, reggae, punk

You can find more info including audio samples and contact me through the Breslov Bar Band website

Yared Lee
    Participant

I love the topic of your study. I’d also suggest checking out the works of Augustus Pablo, he’s a prolific reggae artist/producer who used the melodica as a central part of his production and composition.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Nathan, I’ve written a lot of music which includes melodica and string quartet etc, I haven’t really been using extended techniques. I could send a score of this if it helps:

Or maybe a score of my Irish reel, as it involves circular breathing, and tonguing techniques?

I’m happy to answer any questions from your questionnaire!

It is great hearing all the same names pop up. It assures me I am researching in the right places! Daren, the videos are, circular breathing is a technique I have been looking into. As I come from a piano background I have never needed to use it but am currently learning. Any scores you have would be greatly appreciated as I would like to know how you have scored the melodica parts.

The questions I am asking to help put together research for my Masters are as follows (anyone feel free to answer, I would love to hear from people with many different backgrounds)

1. What about the melodica makes it a unique instrument? (if you think it is a unique instrument)

2. What sort of techniques do you use that you believe idiomatic (specific) to the instrument?

3. Have you experimented much with the melodica, electronics maybe?

4. How do you think it could be improved?

5. FINALLY What do you love about the melodica? (everyone is here I imagine because they enjoy playing and experimenting just as much as I do)

Thankyou in advance!

Also I came across your circular breathing video a few months ago Daren so its nice (and surreal) to be talking in a forum with people who are actively playing with the melodica.

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Nathan,

I don’t know anymore where I found these sheets but they might be worth a look – some interesting music for melodica…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hgajeb0zjwpl46s/AABL8WDo5Fhkj2S3H19c3yGxa?dl=0

For some techniques you could also look up my soundcloud site:

Greetings, Quetscher

jazzman1945
    Participant

Hi, Quetscher, Nathan!
    These sheets were my experiences of arrangements for jazz melodicas trio and for children’s duo. I am pleased to answer questions related to rearrangement of existing music for melodica solo or for melodicas ensemble.

Ralph Nepomuceno
    Participant

I think Nachum’s (jazzman1945) research on the different ways sound can be produced sans a mouthpiece is really quite revolutionary! It’s about the sound you blow into your melodica even BEFORE you press a key!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button