How fast does action loosen up?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Helen R
    Participant

I got my Yamaha P32E today. Fun! But I’m surprised how stiff/resistant the keys are. I assume they loosen up – how quickly?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Quickly enough, Helen. But Yamaha Pianicas usually need a little loosening up after not having been played recently (even after a few hours). I routinely run my finger up and down the keyboard a few times when I pick mine up to play. This is more of a problem with older models.

Daren
    Keymaster

I find occasionally the keys stiffen between playings, but release straight away after the first press. I’ve never found a Pianica which needed playing in, or became less stiff over time. I wonder if your model might have stronger springs than normal??

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The spring tension can be weakened, of course, by taking them all off and lightly stretching each of them. But I think there’s more to it, with the key sort of catching as it’s depressed, as if it’s a stickiness problem. With vintage earlier issue P-25 models, this is more of an problem and can be alleviated somewhat by soaking the Pianica in an alcohol-water mix, working the keys, and rinsing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button