Hohner Melodica, classic versus new

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for those insights, Lowboy, especially about the option to return. I was trolling for a bargain and curious about the older Hohners after reading what you guys have to say about them. But I’m pretty happy now with my Yamaha P-32D and a couple of the Suzukis.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I agree with you Lowboy. Buying a melodica on ebay is a crapshoot, so you have to weigh your options carefully. Some melodicas are easy to repair but most you can’t even find parts for, (speaking more of the vintage melodicas). As for the newer cheaper melodicas, it does not make any sence to buy these used as they will probably cost you more in parts and shipping than what they are worth. I agree with the old saying you get what you pay for, BUT and this is a big BUT, If you are new to melodicas, buy a cheaper melodica “Yes cheaper one” You don’t know if you are going to like playing melodicas and why spend $700 bucks for a Hammond 44 Hyper and then throw it in the closet when you get tired of it? Learn on a low cost melodica and work your way up. Learn how they work and how to fix and tune them. And one more thing, If you have been playing as long as I have you will understand when I say “No you cannot compare a Angelhorn to a Vibrandoneon” or for that fact any other melodica “different reeds, different sound” you choose a melodica based on your style of playing and the type of music you are going to play. What I would definately not do is buy a lot of different melodicas until you learn what kind of sound you are looking for and need. Once you hit that pro level it’s more of a “How many melodicas can I buy without letting the wife know” this will be a different Topic.. Lol
    Melodica-me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

This reminds me of the guy who heard Thelonious Monk for the first time and said “Damn! I gotta get myself one of those pianos.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Мы отправили более 300 ножей и изменения цен на этой неделе!

Наша общество набрала очень хорошо на Ecks в конце прошлой недели! У нас есть большие куски для вас сегодня. Из шоу у нас столоваться Korth, некоторые новые Microtechs, в RJ Martin, в Elishewitz, какой-нибудь классный другой Randalls и Behrings, а Стив Skiff, в Strider, в Андре Thorburn, новые Curtiss шт , Gabko и маломальски Бриттонз. Мы также рады сообщить, который мы нынче говорить чин почти дождем на открытом воздухе ноутбуков и журналах. Это заведомо изящные предметы чтобы туриста, воеже исполнять заметки, подобно для условий рыболовства, много люков, журналов отслеживания, Фотография ноты -. Вы называете его, где обычной бумаге не будет мучиться в плохую погоду , ровно навсегда, для этой неделе у нас вкушать путный круг части от целого ряда производителей. С высокого класса коллекционирования отдельный погода несет, у нас глотать постоянно это. Благодаря веб-вопросов с нашей электронной системы оповещения, мы временно приостановили уведомления в то сезон точно выше веб-группа решает проблему. Причинность после ваше мука! Счастливая покупка!
    Ножи CHRIS REEVE Мы отправили более 300 ножей на этой неделе!

Наша первенство находится для восточном побережье поручение Cut Manifest на этой неделе, так что следите после обновлениями для следующей неделе для последней и самой лучшей. Благодаря веб-вопросов с нашей электронной системы оповещения, мы временно приостановили уведомления в то эра как наш веб-группа решает проблему. Причинность за ваше терпение! Наравне навсегда, для этой неделе у нас есть хороший гарнитура куски из ряда органов (в часть числе Korth, Беринг и Келли). С высокого класса коллекционирования, воеже отдельный число несет, у нас ужинать постоянно это. счастливую покупку!

Ножи Muela Мы отправили более 350 ножей для этой неделе!

Мы гордимся тем, объявлять, сколько мы сейчас предлагаем серии Multitasker 3 инструмента. Это внушительные muliitools сделанные чтобы шутера и турист. Проверьте их! Мы перечислили ряд мяты Microtechs, в Сиберт, Зинкер, великолепный Джон Янг желоб ножа, GTC, обычай Emerson, Mosier, левша Terzuola и Бегг фиксированным лезвием. Вестимо, мы также поглощать множество других хороших папок и неподвижными ножами. счастливую покупку! Buck Knives

Melodica-Me
    Participant

In our past discussion of the Hohner Professional and the Hohner Piano 36! I would like to add the rare and hardly never seen Hohner “Solist” like the Professional it has a wooden interior and individual reeds (see pictured) during my comparison it has a faster responce than the Professional and Piano 36. This is a beautifully made and sounding Melodica. I will be using it on my next recording with the Monsters of Melodica. Troy can you list the Solist on the Melodica review section as professional and I will upload a review.
    Melodica-Me

</iframe>”>

Melodica-Me
    Participant

In our past discussion of the Hohner Professional and the Hohner Piano 36! I would like to add the rare and hardly never seen Hohner “Solist” like the Professional it has a wooden interior and individual reeds (see pictured) during my comparison it has a faster responce than the Professional and Piano 36. This is a beautifully made and sounding Melodica. I will be using it on my next recording with the Monsters of Melodica. Troy can you list the Solist on the Melodica review section as professional and I will upload a review.
    Melodica-Me

<iframe width=”480″ height=”360″ src=”http://s355.photobucket.com/user/BigPwr/embed/slideshow/Hohner%20Solis%20Melodica”></iframe&gt;

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos“>

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Going back to our discussion regarding the Professional and the Piano 36, I would like to add the rare and hardly never seen Hohner Solist. Like the Professional the Solist has a wooden interior and individual reeds plus the Solist has a moisture release button and not a screw cap. The responce is even better than the Professional (very fast) the Solist is a beautifully made and sounding melodica. For the life of me I can not understand why Hohner does not make these melodicas anymore. Troy, please add this one to the Melodica review and I will post one. This is definately a professional grade melodica. I will be using this one on our next Monsters of Melodica session.

Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Going back to our discussion regarding the Professional and the Piano 36, I would like to add the rare and hardly never seen Hohner Solist. Like the Professional the Solist has a wooden interior and individual reeds plus the Solist has a moisture release button and not a screw cap. The responce is even better than the Professional (very fast) the Solist is a beautifully made and sounding melodica. For the life of me I can not understand why Hohner does not make these melodicas anymore. Troy, please add this one to the Melodica review and I will post one. This is definately a professional grade melodica. I will be using this one on our next Monsters of Melodica session.

Melodica-Me
    http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/BigPwr/Hohner%20Solis%20Melodica/3846b9d2807c5c9337ccb58abf66993a.jpg

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I forgot to add , if you click on the picture it will take you to a photo site where you can see the inside of the melodica and the individual reeds.
    Melodica-Me

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry to dig this up again but I would be very grateful if we could discuss the different versions of the piano 36… I recently bought a Piano 36 that has a gold trim (much worn) metal casing with plastic end caps. It weighs substantially more than any other Melodica I have handled. It does not play ‘clanky’ and the sound is beautiful and in tune. I only have a Hohner Piano 26 (the one with the slanting end caps on both ends, all plastic) and a new Hohner Instructor 32 to compare to but the build quality is noticeable better on the old Piano 36.
    My recently acquired vintage piano 36 beats all my other melodica/s hands down for sound quality and the key action is superb, not at all how Melodica-Me describes his piano 36.
    My Piano 26 is exactly how Melodica-Me describes his Piano 36 though haha…..

If the Professional is really that much better than the old Piano 36 I have at home it must be truly a gem amongst melodicas….

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Adam, welcome to the forum. Let me start by saying “YES” the difference is significant. The Hohner Piano 36 is a much better melodica than any of the melodicas you currently own. The Professional 36 and the Solist are yet miles apart from the Piano 36. I own several Hohner melodica the best being my Solist. The Pro 36 and Solist have a wooden interior and individual single reeds like an accordion, the piano has a reed plate with reeds attaced to the plate like a harmonica on a plastic body. These individual reeds on a wood frame give the melodica a warm rich tone unlike the piano 36 that has a bit harder tone. The only Melodicas that have individual reeds besides the Pro 36 and the Solist are the Vibrandoneon, Eolina, and the Clavietta, these are the Best of the Best. When I said that the Piano has a clanky keyboard sound that would be accurate in comparisons to the Pro 36, Solist, Hammond 44, Hammond Hyper and Vibrandoneon or even the top of the line Suzuki melodions. Not many have played the Pro 36 and Solist so I can understand when people say that they sound the same. I have been playing for quite a long time, and wish that Hohner had never stopped making the Pro 36 and Solist, these are the true professional melodicas once made by Horhner for the professional. Now the piano 36 is the last great melodica made by Hohner, there has not been a better one made since then. The Superforce, performer 37, Airboard, have all been geared for the student and not the professional. If you play your Piano 36 and one of these you will hear a big difference. I list the melodicas used at the end of the Monster of Melodca’s YouTube Videos so everyone can here what is being used. Check them out and see if you can tell the difference.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for the welcome! I was certainly not questioning your position on the differences between the different hohners, your experience as a professional musician who actually owns these ‘unicorns of melodica’ is something I can learn from.

I just love the older hohners, I have the push button ansd also the piano key style metal bodied ones and the sound is very nice. My collecting compulsion is nicely settled now in sourcing older Melodicas, although my ability in playing any keyboard is not so great, coming from a guitar, whistle and drum background in Irish Trad and Australian folk.

In fact, my six year old daughter and I are at roughly the same ability however I fear she will outstrip me before too long on the keyboard as she is much more talented than I am and has the advantage of getting proper tuition (she also has been playing longer haha).

When I bought the Piano 36 on that auction site we all know well, It was advertised in the description as a Professional, my schoolboy German was good enough to decipher that it worked. it was of course not as advertised, nonetheless, it works well, did not cost much and is in tune not a bad outcome from ebay

Thank you for this information, I have listened to your music on youtube and was blown away. I would buy a CD or download if you had any for sale.

Adam

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Your comparisons and photos of the Piano 36 and the Professional 36 are very helpful, Oscar, especially since there is so little information out there about the Professional 36. I have noticed references also to the “HM-36” and the “HM” (or “HC”) 936, and such descriptions as “Hohner Professional Melodica 936,” usually on sites whose information seems questionable, if not intentionally misleading. “HM” is not definitive, as it has been used irregularly, even in Hohner ads, and apparently just means “Hohner Melodica.” My best guess is that “936” identifies the Professional 36 and not the Piano 36 or some third model. Is it possible, though, that it refers to the Solist?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, I would love to read more about the Solist, in comparison to the Pro 36 you would have to assume that it was the creme de la creme top of Hohner melodicas, from the accordion tone and feel of the keys and Unlike the pro 36 that has a srew cap to release the moisture the Solist has a push button in the rear of the Melodica. The handle is softer and wider and feels very soft and supple. Like other Hohner Melodicas the Solist has a post where you insert your mouth piece also unlike the other Melodica’s it is very thick and not easy to break. The Pro 36 does not have a post and only a hole to insert your mouth piece. The gaps between the keys on the Solist are very close but none touch or rub against each other with absolutely no play. You put all this together and house it in a beautiful hard case with a padded satin interior. It has to be Hohners top of the Melodica line. It is as rare as the Hohner Electra, the only electric Melodica produced by Hohner. used by the 60’s band “The Loving Spoonful” sort of a syntheziser Melodica with different sound settings. I would love to add one of those to my collection.
    Melodica-Me

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button