Does anyone play the melodica for reasons other than the sound?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tony C
    Participant

Hi I played the accordion for eleven years until I had to stop as my fingers on my left hand yes to lock together stopping me use the bass so I started looking around at keyboards that sounded very similar to the accordion and found the melodica by chance which now I enjoy nearly as much as the accordion.

Larry Shone
    Participant

Yes and no. I got a melodica because I’m primarily a keyboard player, well, learner more like. But what I mean is, unlike guitar, a keyboard is a natural instrument for me (been playing keyboards on and off since I was 11) and I wanted a small, portable keyboard to supplement my keyboard technique. But also I like harmonica but I just can’t get to grips with that instrument. And accordions, though cool, are eye wateringly expensive!
    But I’m also a woodwind player, and melodica kind of combines wind with keys in one neat package.

Jeremy Stokes
    Participant

As well as loving the sound of the melodica – I’ve just come back to the instrument because of a long standing work related problem with my left shoulder. Anything that involves pressure between the thumb and fingers of that hand such as guitar, harmonica, lapsteel makes my shoulder freeze up and sometimes gives me headaches.

Playing the melodica with my hand through the back handle and sometimes resting it on my knee alleviates this.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button