Consequences of dropping a melodica on the floor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Olivier
    Participant

Hello,

Last week, I accidentally dropped my Pianica P37ebk on the floor. The fall was approximatly 1 feet. It plays well. However, I don’t know if something could be broken inside. The thing is that I can’t unscrew it because I’m completely blind. I should also say that the melodica fell on a wood floor. `Can this melodica resist to chocks like that. If something would be broken, would I know it? I know that this is hard to answer without unscrewing it but I can’t and I’m scared of breaking it if I do it with somebody. It is brand new.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Olivier

Lamar
    Participant

Hello, Olivier.

The odds are if you don’t feel anything cracked or missing on the outside, and the plastic case and keys are intact and smooth, and all the keys play, and the spit valve works, and it has no new rattles inside, then you have not damaged it. Go ahead and play it.

At least it wasn’t your Hammond.

Olivier
    Participant

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks for your answer. Some notes seem a tiny bit untuned but I don’t think that this is due to the fall but rather to the fact that I play a lot with it. As for the spit valve, it seems okay. When I press on the button while playing a note, it lowers the sound of the note. As for the extra noise, you’re talking about when I shake it or play it? There is some noise for sure but I don’t know if it was there before the fall. I remember that the keys were noisy. As for my Hammond, it also fell on the floor twice. Everything is intact. I’m lucky: when I accidentally drop my instruments, they don’t break. I try to be as careful as I can because I love my instruments. Fortunately, drops don’t occur often.
    Olivier

Lamar
    Participant

I think that if something was loose in there, it would have to be from the reeds or keys, since everything in the melodica is there to support that linkage. Except the spit valve, of course. Yes, I did mean shake it. I’ve read about people actually whirling their melodicas to get the last few drops out… so shaking it won’t hurt it.

I’m glad it’s okay.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    I was playing few minutes ago and I noticed that, sometimes, some notes were distortionning when I was playing them. You know, when you speak too close of a microphone and the volume is too loud? Sometimes, it made that noise when I blew louder. The noise is not loud though and the notes seem to play well. I don’t know if it’s due to the fall or if it’s just normal. As I said, I’m unable to reproduce it all the time with a note. Sometimes I will hear the noise, sometimes not. Maybe this is a blowing issue? I hope that the reeds are not broken.

Lamar
    Participant

I have a broken reed on my 1899 Kimball reed org. It makes a sucking sound when I press the key, as the reed has too much room for air passage, so it does not oscillate. Since it is on the celeste rank, I haven’t worried about it. And the reed organ works on lower pressure pulling the air through the reed.

The melodica is like an European harmonium, which drives the reeds with pressure. I’m confident you would hear the effect of a broken reed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button