Cigarette odor in Hohner Piano 36

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lamar
    Participant

Greetings, friends. On my third attempt (on eBay), I now have a gold-trim P-37 that holds air, all the notes work, and the keys are decent. I really don’t want to go into this melodica, under the theory that one shouldn’t fix it if it’s not broken.

So does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could blow through this melodica that would not hurt the reeds, seals, putty, keys, etc. to decrease or remove the smell?

I used to smoke in the dim past, and now can detect the odor of tobacco at 500 paces or so. I’m envisioning this guy taking a puff and then playing… puff and play…

It’s nice otherwise. Since I have one play, I can get to repairing the other one. (It leaks like crazy.)

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I usually mix up a 50/50 water and vinegar mixture in a tub remove moisture cap and submerse the melodica overnight and then submerse in fresh water for a few hours. Rinse and then put fresh water with a hand full of fresh mint for a couple of hours. Super clean and no smoke smell. Stand on end make sure the moisture cap is still off and let all drain and replace cap. As always make sure that you are not allergic to these items before using. Hope this helps

Melodica-Me

Lamar
    Participant

Thank you. I will try exactly that and report back. Thanks again!

Lamar
    Participant

It worked. It worked great. Rather than mint, I added a few drops of essence of almond into the rinse water. All the notes and key action is working fine. I have a slight leak under one of the strap attachments, but I haven’t worked up any enthusiasm about going for it yet.

My next job is to deodorize the case, which also is by far the nicest case I have out of three Piano 36 cases.

Thank you, Melodica-Me!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button