Air Leak in Hohner Piano 36

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lamar
    Participant

Greetings. My new-to-me Piano 36 has a mild but steady air leak, just enough to make playing it a breathy affair. So far I’ve taken the back off and looked at the gasket – it’s foam and intact and at the individual arms and felts. I don’t see anything obvious in there. I’ve also tried pushing in on the case in various places while blowing to see if there’s a gasket/sealing issue.

Would it hurt the felts if I submerged it? (I’m thinking they must get wet anyway.)

Thanks. Oh, and where would be the best source for a hose, mouthpiece, and drain cover to fit this melodica.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Lamar you can get the mouth piece here

http://www.hohner-cshop.us

Ask if they can provide a hose, I am not aware of any specifically made for the piano 36. you can ask for the cap as well. note: some tooth paste caps actually work
    Melodica-Me

Lamar
    Participant

Thanks Melodica-Me, for the fast response and for the info – I’ll certainly go looking. Hehe – I’ve been checking all the toothpaste here – all so far have missed the ball.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Are you currently missing the cap, if so that’s where your leak is coming from if so wrap with plastic wrap and use a rubber band to hold the wrap in place temporarily
    MM

Lamar
    Participant

Yep – holding my finger over it (and supporting the melodica at the same time). I’m still looking at toothpaste tubes! Ordered that mouthpeice and found a 3d printer file that I think will fit a 36 back in the forum. I like the sound of the 36 (bought a Piano 26 with it) but the keys are clacky. I’ve been thinking that the leak is coming from under the keybed… Thanks again.

Lamar
    Participant

Ah, did find a cap to fit it – one of those little bottles of complimentary toiletries the hotels used to provide – fits fine.

Lamar
    Participant

Well, I finally ended up submerging the entire thing. It has two air leaks – one is under the backing plate near the spit drain. The mouthpiece end has two more screws and is not leaking. I’ll take the back off again, but I anticipate I’ll finding some new gasket material for it.

The other leak is coming around the first “G” – streaming out both sides. This could be gasket, too, I don’t know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button