What’s the best placement for a Spot Pickup on the melodica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Casesa
    Participant

Hi All!

I’m new here and this is my first post. I hope I’m posting in the correct area.

I have a Yamaha P37D which I’d like to amplify. I bought a K&K Sound Big Shot Universal Spot Pickup which has a disk that is 3/4″ that can be placed on an acoustic instrument.

Does anyone know the best placement? I tried a few spots, but in addition to amplifying what I’m playing, it also amplifies the key clicks.

Any suggestions for placement, or perhaps for a different pickup?

Thanks.

Tom

Tom Casesa
    Participant

Hi. I’m replying to my own post as I found some answers. Tech support at K&K who make the spot pickup say that that kind of pickup isn’t optimal for the melodica. It will always pick up the sounds of the keys. Alternatively they propose their Silver Bullet system with preamp.On their site it lists for $200 but it’s on Amazon for $143. https://www.kksound.com/silver-bullet Think I will get that, and keep the spot pickup for another instrument. If anyone has other ideas Id love to hear them.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Tom, I used to use 2 AKG 516s (gooseneck mics) on my Vibrandoneon. That sounded good with one on each end to cover the low and high section. It looks quite similar to the silver bullet…

Melodica-Me
    Participant

The AKG 516 mics are great. I have used them as well. I also like the Grip Plus from Myers Pickups, it has a volume control that is handy.
    Melodica Me

Tom Casesa
    Participant

Hey Guys, thanks for all the good ideas. I will check then all out.

Tom

Dale Melton
    Participant

I have the Suzuki Melodica Pro 37 V3 and am looking for a microphone to attach to the melodica for live performance. Does anyone know which attached mic Jon Batiste uses? And/or how do you effectively attach the Silver Bullet mic to the melodica? Thanks Dale

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button