What do we know about melodica break-in?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Hi,

My vintage Hohner Piano 32 that I have been playing for months sounds better and slightly louder than a new old stock (NOS) Piano 32 that I just took out of the box. The vintage instrument is older than the NOS instrument by perhaps 5 to 20 years I am guessing. The vintage instrument has a push button water valve. The NOS has the rubber plug water valve. So obviously at least one engineering change order took place in the intervening years.

Do you think the newer one will sound like the older one after I play it for a few weeks?

Or do you think variability in materials and manufacturing over time is the culprit?

The big questions is, has anyone paid attention to and documented changes in the sound of a new melodica over time?

Regards,

Lowboy

barb
    Participant

I have a few recordings of my instruments from 2 years ago and some from now, on the same instruments – It will be interesting to listen side by side. Does anyone else have recordings old and new over a larger span of time?
    My vintage alto Suzuki 27 sounds richer than my other instruments, but as you state, I can’t tell if that’s because it’s different materials and workmanship or because its been played a lot longer by owners over the decades

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button