Tuning a Suzuki Andes recorder melodica.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gerard van Reenen
    Participant

Has anyone experience with the tuning of the Suzuki Andes 25F? That is a sort of melodica, not with reeds but with pipes. It sounds like a soprano recorder. Is it possible to tune every individual pipe? And how? I am very curious.

Stephen
    Participant

Hi Gerard,
    I’m thinking of buying a Suzuki Andes 25F panflute with piano keyboard.
    I have watched some YouTube videos, and it sounds great. I think an amateur can pick it up and play it after a few minutes.
    No need to train embouchure for years or to train those lip muscles.
    No difficult study of a Böhm flute key system, just follow the piano layout.

I have read there are just some minor intonation issues in the (very) high notes because the pipes are so short in a pan flute.

Having a 3 row CBA accordina, I also started dreaming of a 3 row CBA layout Suzuki Andes panflute…
    If a piano keyboard can be attached to a panflute , so can a 3 row button keyboard.

One could also image to experiment with different mouthpieces in a Suzuki Andes 25F (the actual, and then experiment with wood recorder mouthpieces, or clarinet or saxophone mouth pieces with 1 wooden reed, and try the different sound effects)

Why not creating clarinet or saxophone 25 “pipes” in a row with a piano keyboard attached to it?

After all, I read in Curt Sachs book “Handbuch der Musikinstrumente” that in 1860 must have existed a “Klavierkontrafagott”, a low register fagotto with a 2 octaves piano keyboard.
    In the middle ages, portable organs or portatives have existed with little organ pipes, a “piano” keyboard and a bellows actioned by the left hand.

Stephen
    Participant

The Suzuki Andes 25 F can also be used to play “portative organ” tunes
    Here’s a video with a beautiful portative organ

A bellows makes the instrument less dynamic than a mouth piece, but bellowing can help if breathing is too hard.
    Melodicas or Suzuki Andes could also be made with bellows, but we would call them harmoniflutes or … accordions/concertinas.

The charm of melodicas and mouth harps is in their small volume, and the reeds being so close to the mouth.

Daren
    Keymaster

I love these portative organs!

Joe McGinty
    Participant

I just received mine and it has severe intonation problems. The pitch changes pretty easily depending on how hard you blow.

Kevin
    Participant

I love those portative organs too Daren.
    Do you have one?
    They are a bit beyond my means for now.

Joe, I recently got a Andes 25 too.
    One thing to think about is it’s not really functioning like a recorder as it’s often described.
    It’s actually more like the Andean pan flute, the zampona I think it’s called?
    It’s sound generation is similar to blowing across the top of a bottle.
    Blowing harder doesn’t really create more volume.

Gerard, as far as tuning, it looks like the end of the tubes are stopped with a plastic stopper held in place with a drop of hot glue.
    It looks like it would be a simple matter to break the bead of glue and work the stopper either in or out to adjust the tuning?
    However I haven’t tried this yet myself.

Daren
    Keymaster

No Kevin, I don’t have one. Maybe sometime in the future…!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button