Suzuki m37C problem???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    About a month ago, I bought a Suzuki M37C. Last weak, I noticed something very strange about it. The problem is hard to describe, so don’t hesitate to ask me some clarifications. When I blow loudely into the melodica, some low notes don’t work, as if something would prevent the air to pass through. Sometimes, we do hear a noise as if the rides are blocked. However, when I blow more softely, everything works as it should. Everything is in my blowing technique. What I don’t understand is that it does this with only the lowest D and E. Sometimes, it does it with C s well. But in the higher notes, it doesn’t do it. I didn’t open it because it’s still under warranty and I don’t want to break the warranty. Do you think this problem is specific to my unite or do Suzuki mélodicas do this? Do you think I should send it to repair? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Olivier

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It is highly likely, Olivier, that the gaps of those two reeds need to be adjusted. The gaps need to be widened a bit. You bought it at a music store, if I remember correctly. It probably would best to take it back there and see if they will exchange it or fix it. It is not hard to adjust reed gaps. I’m not sure what the warranty is good for unless it allows you to return the melodica.

My guess is that you could adjust those reeds, even though you do not have vision. I could describe the process.

There is also the question of how hard you blow on the melodica. Someone who plays very loudly is likely to have this kind of problem. If you blow hard enough on any melodica reed, it will fail in one way or another. The problem is less likely with a Suzuki M-37 than with some other brands.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello Alan,
    Thanks for the info. I think I will bring it to the store where I bought it eventually to see what they can do with this. I called them today and they told me that it would take few weaks to send to the company. I would be interested to know how to fixe this. I tried with my Hohner Performer 37 and it doesn’t do this. The good news is I can still use it by blowing softly into it. Overall, I’m very satisfact about this melodica. I like it.
    Olivier

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’ll try to walk you through adjusting the reed gaps if the music store doesn’t resolve your problem, Olivier.

Olivier
    Participant

Hello,
    I was able to join the provider of the music store where they send them to repair. The guy told me that it was maybe a way of getting used to blow of a certain way. He doesn’t think something is wrong with the reads. However, he offered me to send it for repair if the problem persists. So I will try to play normally with it to see if it really impacts my dayly playing and if so I will send it to repair. The guy told me that it was normal that not all the reads react the same way to the ammount of air pression. I will update you if something new happens with this melodica. Once again, Alan, thank you for your help.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Sometimes it is necessary to just work around the limitations of an instrument, or a tool, or even a person!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button