Show us your melodica workspace!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

Inspired by Melodica-Me’s office workshop, I thought I’d start this topic so we could show what tools and equipment we’re using to make, repair, restore or tune our melodicas. I think we share a lot with model makers, as, we work in miniature, and accuracy is especially important, because the instrument has to be 100% airtight.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Daren, my melodica shop is more of a melodica work area in my office. My work bench is quite simple, a Sieg mini mill, a Byrnes modelers 4″ table saw, a hand miter saw, some traditional hand tools and tooling for the mill. I have attached a site so you can see some pictures. I would like to buy a micro/mini lathe before I start the new melodica project and if the budget allows, a modelers 5″ disk sander (more accurate). I have a large disk in my garage from my cabinet making days but it’s not really good for small/miniature work. I did make some tooling, jigs and fixtures that can be used on my next melodica project so I will not have to spend time on that. I had to make a micro threading machine so I could do a M1 thread on the key post and a adjustable angle plate fixture so I could drill and tap on a 4 degree angle, it would have been extremely difficult to do by hand consistently.

Hey lets not forget about Tatu, I think he has a new project going on now.

I am terible at uploading pictures and videos so hopefully they will come out, if not I attached the site where you can see them.

Melodica-Me

melodica work bench

http://s355.photobucket.com/user/BigPwr/library/Melodica%20Work%20Bench?sort=3&page=1

Daren
    Keymaster

Ah yes, there’s Tatu, with a nice looking melodica in progress which will have 2 reeds per note tuned an octave apart. My Vibrandoneon sounds great played like that. Like a bandoneon.

And there’s Shannon, working on a Janko keyboard, and not to forget Claude’s replica Clavietta.

I love those photos of your workshop. Can I post them in a new thread? You’ve got some good equipment. I’m also ordering a Byrnes mini table saw, and I’ve enquired to see if he can make one that takes 6 inch wide timber, rather than the standard 4 inch.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Sure Daren, I am thinking of the Byrnes disc sander. You will love the table saw it is a super precise saw. I would buy the micro adjustment tool as well, I will be ordering it when I decide to order the disc sander to save on the shipping (call me cheap lol). I am not to big on the angle table fixture. I did not know they would do custom orders, a 6″ blade would be nice. It does not quite cut 7/8″ but it is precise enough to flip the timber and it cuts on the money, 6/4 material is possible this way. I would love to purchase the Praxxon Pd230/E lathe but it’s a bit much $ for what I need it for. What saw and lathe do you own now?
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Oops, did you mean a wider cut like a bigger table. Or larger distance from blade to fence?
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

Here’s MM’s melodica workshop photos:

melodica workshop

melodica workshop

melodica construction

melodica lathe

melodica mill

melodica tools

making a melodica

making a melodica

Daren
    Keymaster

I meant a larger table, which also creates more distance from blade to fence. Still a 4 inch blade. Here’s the one I saw online, which was a custom order:

extra large Byrnes table saw

This would be really handy for me. But I’ve enquired to see if this can be supplied with the tilting table mechanism, because I’m always making angled cuts.

Daren
    Keymaster

Making M1 threads? That’s dedication! (That’s making the spiral threads for 1mm screws for anyone reading this doesn’t know what M1 means…).

I’ve just moved, and set up a temporary workspace, I’ll get some photos up as soon as my camera’s charged.

I’ve been using the tiny Proxxon table saw (Proxxon KS 115), which I’ve found fine for small pieces of hardwood. But recently I’ve been experimenting with wooden cases, and need a lot of angled cuts, in order to make shapes other than basic rectangles.

I ordered the bigger Proxxon table saw, the 27070 FET, but just had to send it back because the fence isn’t square to the blade when tightened. It’s a largely plastic machine, with little stability, definitely not for the serious melodica maker! That’s why I decided to look into a custom Byrnes machine. It doesn’t have a tilting blade, but does offer a tilting table instead.

I bought a Proxxon 37020 DB 250 lathe for making the mouthpiece on my 3D printed melodica. There was an issue with finding a pen mandrel to fit the Proxxon, which was a bit of a headache. Not that I wanted to make pens, but mouthpieces have similarities to pens when it comes to using a lathe.

Daren
    Keymaster

Here’s some photos of my melodica workspace. Its a temporary solution, as I needed somewhere to work while also doing up a house. Please excuse the mess, I’m mid project…

melodica workspace

melodica proxxon miniature table saw

melodica proxxon sander

melodica proxxon minature router

melodica dewalt sander

melodica soldering iron

melodica dremel

melodica proxxon drill and scroll saw

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Daren, what disc sander are you using? do you like it. I would love to build my own router/shaper table. I use the mini mill now to router edges, but it dose not have the higher speeds needed to be chatter free when routing wood free hand. I like that you have a work surface on both sides and that you can sit on a regular chair. I need to stand or use a bench stool that is not very comfortable without a back support when working long hours (getting old lol) Do you have a background in wood working or did you learn as you were going? your Melodica wood work looks very clean and precise.

Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

I’ve done a few courses over the years, which have given me the basics. The first one was a cabinet making course only using hand tools. I take them when I need new skills. I recently did a CNC course, and I’m currently doing a metal working course.

There’s nothing like learning on the job though, that’s where I make the big mistakes which I can learn from. You said before you’re a trained cabinet maker?

I’m using a Proton disc sander, the TG 125/E. Its small and precise. I use it for shaping keys to just the size I need, and many other jobs.

Being comfortable in your workspace is so important. That’s why I got a couple of good lights as well, and an ergonomic chair, and there’s room for my legs under the table.

I don’t have a mill, but I’m looking into getting a CNC mill now

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Very impressive work spaces. I wish I could do that stuff.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Wow CNC, I bough my Mill through The little Machine shop, they are on the net and luckliy they are only 15 minutes from my office. They have a small CNC machine there. They seam to be the go to guys for small equipment. I will probably buy my Lathe from them as I can go back to them if I need anything. Is the disk sander body cast aluminum/metal or plastic. They seam to be approx. the same cost as the Byrnes, depending on the dealer. When I work during the day I have a glass roll up door that allows 100% day light to work by and if I want to open it up for fresh air it is on a chain motor. At night I have an over head light and a LED light at the mill that I can move from there to the saw and over the work surface when I need to. And yes a cabinet maker, primarily shaper man and knife maker for multi knife moulders and shapers. I went through the aprentiship and then sat for my C6 license then B license. My C6 license is inactive now but it can be reactivate anytime I want to go back to cabinet making.

Melodica-Me

Tatu Salmela
    Participant

Sorry, no pictures yet, but here’s a brief description of my workshop:
    I have a small workshop equipped with basic tools for repairing stringed instruments and accordions. A band saw, table saw, drill press, belt/disc-sander, a sturdy workbench by Marttila and a couple more benches for different stuff. I have lots of hand tools acquired by the years, some powered hand tools like a router, drill and a miniature belt sander spinning a 1/2″ wide belt. I also have a Proxxon MF70 Micro Mill, which has been very helpful in making tools and prototype work. I have the pantograph add-on which is good for engraving etc. For tuning I use a Peterson Autostrobe 490ST tuner, a mechanical spinning-disc stroboscopic tuner. Also I have some lab equipment for electronics repair: a function generator, DC source, tube oscilloscope etc.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Tatu, is the Proton MF70 Micro Mill you own a CNC machine. I was looking at them on line, NICE, looks like it is for real small work. I like the pantograph add-on, can you copy other small parts as well or just for engraving.
    Melodica-Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button