Scarborough Fair

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    André Sant’Anna
    Participant

So I decided to post a little Scarborough Fair arrangement that I did, and also played by myself.

In the video it is possible to follow the music score, however, I’m not sure if I should have written the song with two different staves. In this example, I thought of writing my right hand on the top staff and the left hand on the bottom, like a piano. But I do not play like I was at the piano, despite using both hands. In the case of this song, I play like the Japaneses usually play, using the flexible tube and the melodica being held by a strap (like a saxophone). So I also wrote a version of the score in only one staff. How would you write it?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this, Andre! It’s a pleasure to hear. But, with the score as you have set it up, it is also instructive in relation to playing with both hands “Japanese Style,” which I will now try by playing along.

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

Very nice André, thank you for sharing 🙂

Regarding the transcription practice for two hands on melodica, I recently asked myself the same question. I have tried:
    – One staff with separate voices (i.e. “choral”style)
    – Two staves with treble keys (like yours)
    – Two staves, treble and bass keys, piano style.

I eventually opted for the last solution, maybe because I am more accustomed to it, like any piano player would be I guess, even if the left hand is “reversed”.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

That was lovely, and very good to be able to see what you played. The tied notes! I particularly liked the tremelo. TQ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button