Pitch and temperament

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Weiyan
    Participant

Bought a new Suzuki M-37C. No lucky, its seriously out of tune!

Set the tuner A4=442, A4 8 cents sharp. The worst note, low F, 20 cents sharp. Could it possibly tune to 442? For temperament, is it better tune to well temper? Or just tune to 12 ET?

Thanks

Alan Brinton
    Participant

12 ET, I think from our discussions here, Weiyan. I have an M-37C, though it is not so seriously out of tune and I have not yet tuned it. I also have the Suzuki A-34C and the Suzuki M-32C. These both came tuned sharp at about A4=442. I ended up tuning them down to A=441 and A=440, respectively. I play my melodicas a lot with Band-In-A-Box, and they sound better at those flatter tunings. There’s an investment of time involved, but it’s worth figuring out where you want to be and tuning to there. I started out tuning to A=443 but was persuaded to get closer to 440, and I’m happy with the results.

Weiyan
    Participant

Thank you. I also think closer to 440 have better harmony with other equipment. A4 is 444, not sure can tune this large range. As I learned from some where, harder blow will bend the pitch down. Its hot summer, not sure the effect on pitch in fall and winter.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Weiyan. Can you return the instrument and ask for a replacement? You might also return it, get a refund, and buy another one from a different supplier. If it is still under warranty, maybe you can have Yamaha service it for free.

I bought a Hohner Piano 36 about 10 or 12 years ago. The cost was $180. It arrived with less than perfect tuning. So I contacted the store I bought it from, and they either tuned it or they had me send it to Hohner for retuning at no charge. I can’t quite remember the details, but it was re-tuned for free. Lowboy

Weiyan
    Participant

I bought from the largest music store, which is dealer of Yamaha, Steinway, Sauter, Hohner, Suzuki and many prestige brands. However, the Steinway have poorer tuning than this M-37. What can you expect from this $80 toy? They even don’t know harmonica can be tuned.

Forget to tell you I am in Hong Kong. When I bought this new toy, I expected to learn a new tuning skill. Sitting hours to tune a melodica is not difficult task for me, since I am a piano tuner.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Ah I see the problem Welyan, you bought a toy melodica.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have done a lot of melodica tuning, Weiyan, and do not think it’s a big deal tuning from A444 down to A440. The amount of metal having to be scraped off the reeds is minimal within that range. It takes some time, but probably less for you as a piano tuner. From what you have said, I would definitely not return or exchange the instrument. I would tune it down to A441. I think think that after tuning and playing the M-37 for a while, you will enjoy it and will not regard it as a toy. It is a very nice instrument. If you could exchange for an M-32, though, you might find it easier to work with.

Welcome to MelodicaWorld, by the way. It’s good to see a piano tuner here! I will be very interested in whatever you will have to say about tuning the melodica. I recently had my Yamaha baby grand tuned and had an interesting conversation with my tuner about my melodica tuning efforts.

Weiyan
    Participant

Thank you. I never regard M-37 as a toy. I am teasing the ignorance music professional here. I am waiting the harmonica tool kit from Amazon.

If the piano is not tuned, its not music instrument, so the Melodica.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The harmonica tool set probably has what you need. I use inexpensive needle files, this particular set:

I’m sure you have already looked at the tuning tutorial on this site. It is the best explanation I have seen for melodica tuning.

Weiyan
    Participant

Alan, thank you. I order the Lee Oskcar set. The curved file set you recommend is better value. I can’t find curved file in local hardware store so order a harmonica service kit from Amazon.

Melodica-Me, its real problem the music store classified instrument according to price.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I saw a similar set for about $5 at Harbor Freight Tools here (in Boise, Idaho). There seems to be some kind of a distributor of Harbor Freight in Hong Kong. Don’t know if this will help, but …. These files wear down after time, but several that will work are included and they’re good for tuning several melodicas each. They are probably made in China!

Harbor Freight Tools, and Precision Mastech Enterprises, Co. of Hong Kong, China

Weiyan
    Participant

Thank you The information is helpful. Now I get tons of idea to tune the M-37. The principal is to take sonething off the reed. There is round file to use with electric tool for fine engravingm it be handheld to file a reed. I think a piece of sand paper can get the job done. I hope can tune it this weekend.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Weiyan

Good luck with the tuning. Looking forward to hearing how you get on I agree with Alan, that A444 down to A440 is easily achievable, without damaging the reeds. Remember this – you have to take more from the top of the reed when tuning up than you have to take from the base of the reed when tuning down. So be very cautious to begin with! And when you get to the higher/smaller reeds, take off even less…

Weiyan
    Participant

Thank you Begin to tune it today Take longer time than tuning piano. After first pass, a few notes still seriously out of tune Notes above E5 have uneven tone. Is this due to uneven gap?

There is scrap marks on the reed. I think they use electric engraving tool. The marks are round hold.

Continue to fine tune it tomorrow.

Weiyan
    Participant

Just finished tuning. I find something interesting, it seems as inharmonicity like piano. Tuned to even within 1 cent accuracy, many octave and fifths beats. I use a piano tuner correct it, the fifths calm down to acceptable range. There still an interval beats too much, but the tuner doesn’t give hints. I think melodion is lead instrument rather then harmonic instrument.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button