New workshop space

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

I moved into a shared workshop a few months ago, to continue my research into building that “Steinway of Melodicas”! Its a great place, with a separate wood shop and metal shop, as well as assembling and desk spaces upstairs.

There’s a little article describing the melodica building journey…Melodica Workshop Article

Daren
    Keymaster

Blackhorse workshop London

Blackhorse Workshop Woodworking

Blackhorse workshop chopsaw

Blackhorse Workshop metal

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Daren, this looks like a fantastic place to work and create. Can’t wait to see your new creation. Will you still be using part of the 3D printing process? It seams I have been dedicating more and more time to building melodicas then playing them. I would love to be in this type of environment with other folks creating as well. Are there any other people building musical instruments or just you.

Paul Durham
    Participant

Really enjoyed the insights provided in the pictures and article. Those of us who really love the melodica will be saving for the day your instruments are ready to mass market. KEEP US POSTED!

Daren
    Keymaster

MM, I’ll still using 3D printing for parts of the instrument. There’s things you can do with this technology that just aren’t possible with other methods, especially when working with intricate designs in miniature.

There’s no other permanent instrument makers here that I’ve met yet (its a big place), but I’ve met a guitar maker who comes in to use the woodshop sometimes.

Maybe you can join a space like this in LA?

Paul, I’m not sure about mass marketing! Melodicas take so long to make, and end up being quite costly, but of course cost is irrelevant when you’re obsessed with perfection!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

By the way Daren, great article. I am going to look around and see if I can find something near me. I don’t specifically need a shop to work out of, but I would really like to work with other like minded people to learn more. I definitely agree that building melodicas from scratch is extremely expensive and to produce a truly custom melodica for sale is not realistic without cutting out a lot of the actual “custom”. Well back to building melodicas.
    Melodica-me

Lowboy
    Participant

Impressive and inspiring journey Daren. Lowboy

Daren
    Keymaster

Hopefully I’ll have something to show for it one day 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button