Mini keyboard MIDI controller for silent practice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Snider
    Participant

Hi All,
    I’ve been listening in on your learned discussions for several months now (thanks for all the info!), and I finally have something to add. I’m using a compact 25-key MIDI controller as a travel and practice instrument, because a real melodica tends to be a bit loud for hotel rooms and even for late-night practice at home. Is anyone else out there doing the same? Any thoughts on the subject?

Bruce

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Bruce, I started working on a midi melodion using an Akai midi controller with a Mrtaudio breath controller but I use a trumpet mouth piece. On my Suzukie Midi melodion it uses a pipe mouth piece again not my fave. What type of mouth piece or breath controller are you using? Are you able to control occilation or sweep on frequency or glissando with the breath controller. Very interested in seeing your set up.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Bruce Snider
    Participant

I’m afraid my set-up is very basic: CME X-Key controller playing through the ThumbJam app on my phone (with the Vintage Accordion and Concertina patches). No breath control, but I’m new to keyboards, so I still find it useful in working out tunes and fingerings.

Bruce Snider
    Participant

My gripe with the X-Key is that the keyboard spacing and action are so unlike the melodica (and accordion). When I get a chance, I’m going to try out some of the other mini controllers out there. The Akai-plus-breath control sounds cool.

Bruce

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Hello M-Me, Bruce
    My gear in perfect combination:

SevillaSoft MIDI Breath Controller MBC-1
    Versatile, powerful and cheaper than others with the same characteristics. No driver installation required, compatible with iOS, macOS and Windows.
    Includes:
    -1 Tube (1 meter)
    -2 mouthpiece
    -USB Cable

Korg MicroKey Air
    Great Keys, wireless!

http://compasflamenco.com/midi-breath-controller-mbc1-p-5.html
    http://www.korg.com/es/products/computergear/microkey2_air/

Bruce Snider
    Participant

Thanks, Bruno! That’s a nice, simple setup. I’ve been reading about the Korg MicroKey; it’s good to have a positive recommendation on that.

Bruce

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button