Melodica with Harmonica Overtones–Recording

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Hi,

So I managed to get a recording of my exploration into making my Hohner HM-36 sound like a harmonica. I can see there is a long way to go and much experimentation yet to come. My playing technique must change too.

While not the greatest performance, I thought some of you might be interested in at least hearing the sound. This is a solo recording of an off-the-cuff jam. Image this sound through a harp amp with lots of power tube distortion! Imagine it through a wha wha pedal to imitate the wha wha effect harp players produce by cupping and uncupping their hands. When I play this sound along with a blues recording, it really drop right into the songs nicely in most cases. So here it is.

[audio src="http://webpages.charter.net/lowboy/MELRIFF1.mp3" /]

When I get a better recording, make an advancement in technique, or get it sounding better, I will post another recording.

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

By the way, the audio clip is about 2 minutes long. If your player does not show a timeline, you might think the clip ends at the first pause about 4 or 5 measures into the jam. Lowboy

Kevin
    Participant

I’m listening to this Lowboy. I think I hear what you are shooting for.
    Are you aware of this video?

This fellow is trying to emulate the overdriven harp sound also. At one time I thought it might be you!
    I can tell you’ve spent some time behind a Hammond, you definitely have that in there, It makes me imagine if the Hammond was never invented and Jimmy Smith was sitting down at a pump organ. Very Tasty licks! Keep posting your explorations.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Kevin,

No, that is not me but we share the same hat!

You are very observant. My accordion teacher turned me on to Jimmy Smith decades ago and Smith has been a big influence in my organ and now melodica playing.

Thanks for the compliment.

Regards,

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

Kevin,

I will check out the video tonight when I get home from work and offer any observations. Thanks for posting that.

Lowboy

Kevin
    Participant

You’re welcome Lowboy.
    I like where you are headed with this.
    It’s a blending of organ technique with harmonica expressiveness which is where the melodica lives!
    I wonder what it would be like if instead of (or in addition to) the wah-pedal you tried one of those Leslie simulator pedals?

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Kevin,

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind of course. I have a 122 Leslie sitting right there in my music room. One of these days I will give it a try. I do have a Leslie simulator on my multi-effects processor, but the simulator is not a good one and some initial tries with the default settings did not do anything for me.

I don’t want to get too complicated as I want to focus on the music and playing technique and not so much on the technology. But some experimentation is in order.

Lowboy

albalex
    Participant

Hello Lowboy
    you could send me the link of audio recordings because I’m curious about the sound you’re faceendo with the HM-36 ……
    thanks

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Albalex,

Paste this link into your browser and you should get there.

I hope to post a more comprehensive recording showing several EQ settings soon. Maybe tonight.

Regards,

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi all,

So I took another cut at shaping a “harp” sound from my melodica. I ran out of webspace to post tracks so I gave it the same name as the link above. The new recording is done with a free blues backing track from YouTube.

The link again is:

ftp://webpages.charter.net/MELRIFF1.mp3

Just cut out the text from “ftp://…. to . . .mp3” and paste it in your browser. EQ could be a bit severe, but I will have to continue to play around to get a full bottom and the exact overtones and harmonics of a harp. But I am zeroing in.

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi, I see the Melodica World Website is no longer adding extra text to the links. The link should work as is by clicking on it.

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

Whoops, I messed up again with the link: Here is the real link:

Lowboy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button