hohner 36 sticking keys

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ja
    Participant

The two keys on each end of the melodica are sticking. When played they don’t return to a non play mode.
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

JA, is this the Piano 36 or the Professional 36? I would check in between the keys first to see if there is any dirt or something caught. If nothing can be seen, you may want to open it carefully and see if anything liquid has gone I between and below the keys like coffee, soda. Even water in the Professional 36 can cause a sticking issues on d it mixes with dust it dirt since this model has a wood Interior. The Piano 36 is all plastic. On the the professional 36 check that any metal guides are straight and not bent or rubbing on something. Sometimes the felt or leather/paper gaskets in some of these older melodicas fall off and get caught and bind the keys.
    I hope this helps
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Another thing to try before opening, ja, is to work the key up and down repeatedly with your thumb at the end, holding the melodica upside down, which might loosen up anything that’s in there. You might also try something I have done when keys get sticky on my computer keyboard, which is to use a vacuum cleaner. Vacuuming the computer keyboard almost always brings something up, in my case most notoriously fine hairs from my Cavalier spaniel. When I do this, I insert my fingertip between the end of the vacuum opening and the keys to avoid direct contact and avoid too strong suction.

Also, as you look at the keyboard, are there significant differences in the gaps between keys? Some differences are normal, but it’s not unusual to have sticking because the gap on one side of the key is much wider than the gap on the other. If two white keys are too close together, you can depress each key with your thumb and gently push the other key to see whether you can reposition either or both keys so as to widen the gap. Usually you can reposition one or both keys and they will stay in the new position(s). I have evened out the gaps between keys on many vintage melodicas by doing this (either in the way I have just described or by inserting a small blade between keys and working them apart or together with sideways pressure). Sometimes I do this because keys are not depressing smoothly, but sometimes I do it just for cosmetic reasons. Be sure to do this softly and patiently to avoid traumatizing your melodica.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button