Hi folks!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks for shedding light on your process Tatu, really good to hear that you’re putting so much effort into your creations.

Stephen
    Participant

Hello Tatu,
    Your chromatic button harmonica looks very beautiful, and I also like the small size and light weight.

What do you think of the harmonica reeds made by Harmonikas Louny Titlbach? There are 2 photos of the single reed plates here:
    http://www.harmonikas.cz/en/reeds-for-mouth-key-harmonicas#obsah

It’s difficult to tell from these photos, but these harmonica reed plates seem to be slightly thinner than the Italian made accordina reed plates by Binci.
    Is there a forum member who knows the exact weight of a single Harmonikas harmonica reed plate ? (and in comparison to a single Binci accordina reed plate)

Did you also test your prototypes with a Borel style attached mouthpiece to it? The mouth/lips can get firm grip on the Borel and Dreux accordina mouthpieces.
    Is there a big sound difference with yours not the extra mouthpiece? Did you experiment with this?

Tatu Salmela
    Participant

I have a few reedsets from Harmonikas.cz, but I do not have a scale to weigh them. They are 2 mm thick and 8 mm wide, not so heavy. The reedplates are 33 mm long from G4 upwards (g abowe middle c) and 36 mm below that. I had to order specially made low plates that were still longer than that, in my sets the lowest 36 mm plate is G3. Below that they are 40 mm.

In my Button Harmonica I used Hohner chromatic single harmonica reeds on a cnc-milled 1,5 mm brass plate. I bought the Harmonikas reeds for a custom project that was ordered from me. They are still a lot bigger than chromatic harmonica reeds, so they don’t suit this kind of design.

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi Tatu,

Do you have any pictures of the instrument disassembled? I am sure many here would be interested in seeing them. I know I sure would.

Thanks,

Shannon

Tatu Salmela
    Participant
    Shannon M
    Participant

Tatu,

Thanks for posting that link. Those images are very helpful. What did you use for your button mechanisms? Custom or something already fabricated? Also, where did you source the button keys? Those are beautiful. You do very nice work.

Thanks,

Shannon

Tatu Salmela
    Participant

Hi Shannon!

The button mechanism consists of a short plastic rod, that acts as a shoulder for the compression spring, a brass tube, and a screw that holds the silicone valve, goes trough the tube and screws into the plastic rod. The buttons are from Carini, an accordion parts shop in Castelfidardo, Italy. I spent a week in Castelfidardo in 2010, visiting accordion factories with my study group, and bought them straight from the shop. The accordion trade is notoriously bad when it comes to websites and emails, so it helps if you have a friend who knows the jargon and speaks Italian.

So, apart from the reeds, buttons and screws, it’s all custom made. It’s a bold concept and different from any existing designs, so there was no ready-made parts.

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi, Tatu

Very ingenious. How are the brass tubes attached to the reed plate? They look like they might be a press fit, but I can’t tell for sure. Your design, although simple in execution, is quite brilliant in initial design. Like Daren, I really appreciate all that you have accomplished with 2d components. Bravo!

Shannon

Tatu Salmela
    Participant

The brass tubes aren’t fixed to the reed plate. They just go trough a hole, and are free to move. Their movement is restricted by the silicone valve on the bottom and the spring/shoulder on the top. When the covers are on, there is about 5 mm of travel.

I have already given enough information for anyone to copy my design. That was not my plan, I just offered my help on your own designs. Here’s the Borel Accordina (aka chromatic harmonicon) patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US2461806 , it should be useful. In the patent there are differences to the production model: the patent has both blow and draw reeds, more complex cover structure and different kind of springs.

Shannon M
    Participant

Tatu,

I hope I did not offend you with my questions. I was merely trying to understand the images that you posted. I see now how your button mechanism works. Quite brilliant, actually. I certainly do not want to copy your design, but you have provided several elements that are much simpler in execution than what I was envisioning. I tend to overcomplicate things. 8^)

Thank you so much for sharing. I hope to share my efforts soon, which borrow from several different instruments. Hopefully others can benefit from it the way I have benefitted from your assistance. That is how we all learn.

With all respect,

Shannon M

Tatu Salmela
    Participant

Shannon,
    I am not offended, I have complete trust in you and everyone here in the forum. I see this as a community, and would like to see some instruments. A melodica is notoriously cheap as the harmonica, but with the harmonica community, we developed tips and tricks to make it go further. An exchange of ideas is always helpful. Let’s make melodica better.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button