Hammond 44

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

When I bought my Hammond 44, two available models were identified as The 44 and the 44HP. I wanted the acoustic version, so I ordered the 44 rather than the 44HP. When it arrived, I was surprised to discover that it had a pickup. The conclusion I drew was that the acoustic 44 actually also came with the pickup, but that this feature was not advertised. However, now I notice that my instrument is labeled Hammond Melodion 44H. Does anyone know what gives with this? I was about to submit a review but want to be sure it’s for the right model.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Alan

Yes, they both have pickups. The 44HP has a perforated metal back, and grey marble effect ends, whereas the 44 has no perforations, and has brown wood effect panels. The Hammond 44 HP is sometimes called the Hammond “hyper”. Perhaps your H stands for this…?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Ha, ha! Mine has a perforated metal back and brown wood panels. It must be a hybrid. Maybe it’s a highly valuable misprint. I guess I’ll regard it as an HP, though I got it for the acoustic price from Melodicas.com. Thanks.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, can you take a picture of the front and back of your Hammond 44H and post it, I am curious about this hybrid. I bought my Hammond 44 when they first came out years ago and i just ordered the HP Hyper because I like the fast response of my 44 but I want the sound to be closer to my Vibrandoneon, and the 44 has its own sound unlike your typical Melodica.

Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Image Misfire? See below.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Alan, this is the 44 and not the hyper, I have this model. I love it very fast and smooth.

Quetscher
    Participant

Oh, that’s a regular Hammond 44, not the HP model whose back panel is comletely perforated with small holes. Look here:

http://music-direct-shop.de/assets/images/hamond_44_hp_detail_2.jpg

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks, Quetscher (and Melodica-Me)! I’m relieved. The sound is quite good, but I was worried that I had the wrong model and that the one I didn’t get had the more acoustic sound, which was my preference.

Daren
    Keymaster

I think they both sound quite acoustic. The tone of the regular 44 is similar to other melodicas, whereas the 44HP has a cleaner, smoother sound, similar to melodicas with accordion style reeds, such as the Vibrandoneon.

albalex
    Participant

Hello Alan
    I would like to chiderti as you are playing the Hammond 44. I too am next purchase hammond 44 and would like to know from you information about the issue on the strong and on the plane, on which the fort is off the floor or other impressions that you noticed …..
    thanks

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Albalex,

Is your language Italian? I am not sure what you are asking.

By “the plane” do you mean the keyboard? By “the strong” do you mean “forte,” how loudly it plays? By “floor” do you also mean the piano keyboard?

I do not use the pickup for amplification, but the Hammond 44 has a full, strong sound without any amplification. The sound is also even and consistent through the whole keyboard.

With many melodicas, if you blow hard and play very loudly, there are problems with the keys. This is not a problem with the Hammond 44. It can be played loudly with no problems.

You can see from pictures that it is a pretty instrument. When you hold it in your hands and play it, this will be even more obvious. It is pretty like an Italian motorcycle.

albalex
    Participant

Thank you very much and sorry for my english …….
    They are Italian ….. I restored back Pianica 37D crashed because the strong staccato sound. So now I want to make the right choice.
    Thank you for your valuable information ….

Daren
    Keymaster

It is pretty like an Italian motorcycle.

🙂

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Playing stacatto and fortississimo, Albalex, maydamage the reeds of any melodica. It is like Franz Liszt destroying his pianos. Se corri il vostro motociclo in questo modo, non ci possono essere problemi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button