Guitar synth pedal with a Melodica ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Maurizio De Cecco
    Participant

Hallo,

i am an happy player of a Hammond 44H, that i use mostly in a Jazz context, and i am considering the idea to use some kind of guitar synth pedal with the my melodica, for more of a Jazz/Fusion work.

Does anybody have an actual experience with this kind of toy ? Main requirements are a reasonable sound, but especially good tracking with low latency ..

Maurizio

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Maurizio, Have been using pedals for many years and have used them with all the Hammond melodions and some of my own. Note that some pedals react better with the 44H than the HP version. This primarilly is how each pedal responds to the signal it is getting from the pickup of the melodion. The use of a boost pedal adds to deliver a better and stronger signal to the pedals. Here is a little I wrote on pedals 8 years ago, my setup has changed quite a bit since then.

Effect pedals for your Melodica

this site shows a newer version of my pedalboard and yet this has changed for an even better response.

https://www.themelodicamuseum.com/our-team

please let me know if you have specific questions you may have or on any pedal you may be interested in using with your Hammond 44
    thanks
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant
    Maurizio De Cecco
    Participant

I was familiar with the thread, I actually read it before planning my setup. So, two time thanks.
    At the moment I am just using a booster (that include a bit of amp simulations actually, that give a bit more presence to the sound) and a reverb; I find that a spring and a plate reverb sound well in a jazz context (a long plate in a ballad is great). In fast pieces, I use also a room; I tried a delay, but doesn’t really fit in a the jazz context.

For information, I tried a number of reverb plug in on my DaW, and I got an evaluation licence for the Strymon Bigsky and the IK Multimedia X Space software plugin, that have equivalent behaviour than their plugin counterpart. I find that most of my reverb plugins (Arturia and NI) didn’t really sounded good with the Melodion (I find it require some openness on the high end); I was happy with the BigSky plugin, and happier with the X Space; considering the price difference, no brainer :).

I also play in a electro/ambience group, where I use the Melodion with more complex reverbs (three voice shimmers for example).

The current quest is in an other order: I saw a while ago a video (posted on KC) of someone doing a fusion synth solo using a 44H going thru a guitar synth software in a iPad; I am considering doing the same, for yet a different projet, but with a pedal of some kind, and I am wondering if anybody have experiences to share on the subject.

Maurizio

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I see. for computer recording (In the Box) much of the effects can be used as you mention with plug-ins. but for live application the systems are completely different and to me more complicated. For reverb Big Sky is great pedal, I have not used the plug-in for reverb plug-in I use the abby roads plate reverb from waves, a fantastic plug-in. for Live use I prefer and use the Chase Bliss CXM 1978 reverb pedal. In the old pictures of my pedal board, I started with a Cathedral Pedal (reverb) from Electro harmonics I was not very happy and tried several other models before I ended with the CXM. I am not sure what kind of Synth sounds you are looking for but Electro Harmonix has the Synth9 pedal Personally I am not a big fan of these type of pedals as they are all a bit inconsistant with different melodicas. Note that these pedals were made for guitars and not for reed instruments with a pick up so I have found that individual pedals seam to work best. (IMHO) in my Video “What you going to do I use many effect pedals on my melodica to create a synth effect. (Solo starts at 109).

These effects were all done with pedals with reverb provided during mx.

Melodica-Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button