Clavietta with built in pickup 1966

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-RICCORDI-CONCERTINAS-James-Polisano-LA-CLAVIETTA-Electric-2pg-Catalog-Ad-/271770658533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f46cb26e5

When the image disappears on eBay, I will have it saved. The instrument is advertised as an “electrified” Clavietta.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, I would love to own a electrified Clavietta, it would cure that low volumne issue that the clavietta has. I would definately use it more.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

If I run across one, you’ll be the first to know.

Michael
    Participant

Hey,
    this is Michael from Germany.
    I am very new to this forum and also to melodicas at all 😉
    My girfriend wanted a cheap melodica, so i started to search for new melodicas and ended with some vintage ones to try…

A few days ago i was lucky and got two pieces very cheap:
    one Hohner Pro 36 in mint condition (leaky like they are) and
    one clavietta; a black one with aluminium back and a small microphone build in, also in mint condition.
    perhaps somebody is interested in some pictures 😉
    Clavietta with pickup
    the backside

i am not sure how to use the pickup.
    it is a microphone with the jack at the back of the clavietta.
    do i have to use a special microphone amplifier? just pluged into an active loudspeaker the sound is very low.

regards
    michael

edit: should i start a seperate topic on this?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Michael and welcome to the forum. There was a model that Clavietta released that had a built in microphone, but that one had a volume control. I had not seen one with out the control. You would be able to plug it it right into a amplifier and see what gives. Start low and work the volume up slowly. If it dose not sound you may need a boost for the pick up but you should still be able to hear it. You will need to install the valve washers or you will get a very weak sound since all the air escapes if not installed. I am very curious to know how that pick up works and sounds. If you are interested in repairing the Clavietta or selling it, please let me know, I am alway interested in these.
    Melodica-Me

Michael
    Participant

Hello Melodica-Me,
    so it seems that somebody modified this clavietta with the pickup!?
    see my photos from the inside in last post linked. it is just a passive microphone assembled in the middle of the backplate.
    on first look it seemed to be original to me, but i could be wrong.
    Already tested the pickup with an activ loudspeaker. sound is comming, but really low volume.
    so i have to search for an preamp, i think.

i also already changed the washers with selfmade siliconewashers(the red ones on the pictures). (cutted them from an broken silikon bakingform)

the gasket had been not so bad, but i tryed to install it new with foamstripes.
    bad idea: had been better bevore. so i have to get better material for the gasket.
    you got a tip? cork or foam?

sorry, we will not sell this wonderful sounding piece (my girlfriend said 😉 )
    i like the clavietta a lot, too.
    thanks
    michael

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Michael, I use leather lace for the gasket, and lap the ends. Make sure to fully seal the leather with a silicone sealer and let it dry for a couple of days before you set the air chamber cover, if not, moisture will penetrate the leather and mold will grow. and you will need to replace again. This works well.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I have written in the forum regarding preamps and boost for the Hammond 44 pickup that has the same issue (low Volume) Type in the search box Hammond Pick ups and the thread will pop up. maybe you will fond something that will work for you there.
    Melodica-Me

Michael
    Participant

Many thanks.
    I will go on with the gasket and post further in the other clavietta thread.
    Will experiment with the pickup and post my findings here if and how it works.
    Perhaps i disamble the micro and make detailed pictures.
    Thank you
    michael

Michael
    Participant

tryed several times now to post a picture in this thread, but none of the posts were saved.

wanted to say that that my pickup is working great with our tascam 8-track recorder.
    try to post the pic in the next post.

Michael
    Participant

pickup

Michael
    Participant

inside
    from the inside

somebody got other detailed pictures of a clavietta with pickup?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button