Basse Aux Pieds

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Anyone familiar with this instrument? I spent several hours at the amazing Musical Instruments Museum (MIM) in Phoenix a few days ago. This museum is well worth a visit by any serious melodica player, especially to see and hear hundreds of wind instruments from different cultures and to see and hear the techniques employed by folk musicians on these instruments. Unfortunately, the displays are not available on line. I was really sorry I hadn’t brought my camera to take photos, as there were several particular reed instruments that were especially suggestive in relation to melodica playing. But the most fascinating instrument was in the Belgium exhibit in the Geographical collections, the foot bass or Basse aux Pieds.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Oops, follow-up did not post. It’s a vintage instrument, made until about 1945. But there is an artisan named Harry Geuns who has made and sold reproductions in recent years.

Harry Geuns – Free Reed Maker Bandoneon maker

Follow the links there for sound samples and more information. The cost there is given at about 2000 Euros, a very reasonable price, it seems to me, for such a unique hand-crafted instrument.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Aha! Here’s the video from the MIM display.

Paul Durham
    Participant

Reminds me of the bass pedals of a reed organ. I wonder if this was a supplement to a hands only instrument?

Lowboy
    Participant

I love it. I only which I could play two instruments at once, or play and sing. My mind just won’t let me do it. If I could, I would play one of these. Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I think the original idea was to use it while playing a regular accordion.

Quetscher
    Participant

Indeed an interesting intrument; I’ve been doing theatre music several times playing accordion, bass drum, hihat, piano, kazoo at the same time. I wish I had had that instrument the last time I did that, would’ve been fantastic…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button