Bach on Melodica

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

I finally got round to recording this piece in front of a camera. I recorded it with my new AKG C414 XLS mic, which has quite a neutral, clear sound

Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Great performance! By observing your cheeks: are you using circular breathing?

Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks Herman, yes I learnt to circular breath on melodica when I first started playing, because I wanted a continuous sound. It’s not as hard as it looks!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It’s also not as easy as you make it look!

FREDERIC
    Participant

Could you make a video to explain the circular breathing adapt to the melodica? …. I think that many of us are very interested in this wonderful technique to enrich our practice. It would be a very nice gift from you 😉

Daren
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ll look into this Frederic…

FREDERIC
    Participant

thank you so much !

Alan Brinton
    Participant

There are quite a few instructive and charming circular breathing videos on YouTube, two of which I’ve linked below. I’d be delighted to add one by Daren to my collection. But a question that should perhaps first be addressed is whether any special adaptation of the technique to the melodica is required. I don’t actually have an opinion about this, but maybe Daren, who plays multiple wind instruments, does.

Lowboy
    Participant

Nice performance Daren and that mic sounds great. Beautiful composition as well. Baroque is my favorite serious music. I think I would be interested in learning circular breathing as well as I seem to run out of air to often before I have finished my musical statements. I will start with Alan’s suggested Youtube videos.

Lowboy Bootay

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Alan,

Great video of unique instrument and circular breathing. And I could not help but notice in my YouTube “Up Next” column to the right was this gem of a melodica album: “Gold: The Very Best of Augustus Pablo.” Listen to this album while you (everyone) work around the house and see what it does for you. Still not sure I have fully sorted Augustus out, but he was a true melodica pioneer and created a plot of land for the melodica in modern music. I enjoy listening and learning about the roots reggae and dub music, particularly when it has melodica in it. I am going to Jamaica in a couple of months and look forward to learning more about Augustus, roots reggae, and rocksteady music as I prepare the trip. There is a charm about that old music. Maybe I should bring my melodica. Lowboy

Gold: The Very Best of Augustus Pablo

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Okay, I have the album on now. I have several of his albums and have done some listening, but I think your recommendation to have it on in the background is a good one.

You should take a melodica to Jamaica, Tom. Linda and I are going to Havana on April 24 for nine days. I’d think about taking a melodica with me but am afraid I’d be asked to play it. On the other hand, it would be a good thing to “gift” to someone there, as I’m sure local musicians have a hard time coming by instruments — well, that’s what I’ve heard.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

The Bach piece sounded so lovely. There’s no way you can play something like that without circular breathing. Quite a feat. And what a cool-looking melodica.?

Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks Joanna, yes, it really helps in some types of music. Especially f there’s no rests!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button