2017 Melodica Goals!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

We’ve had an interesting year in the world of melodicas, with Jon Batiste continuing to raise awareness through his new appointment on the Late Show. A new classy melodica (The Diamente) from our very own forum member Oscar aka Melodica-Me. And not to forget our new members Tristan and Joe rocking the internet with their virtuosic viral vids

Well, its the start of a new year, and there must be a load of us making new resolutions. I don’t know about you lot, but my goals are centred around the melodica! I’d love to hear your plans…

I’ll start with my own. I’m continuing my experimentations with melodica building, in search for that elusive “Steinway of Melodicas”. When I set out on this task, I had no idea how consuming it would be, how many aspects there are to think of – sound, materials, weight, to name a few. There’s so many configurations to try out, but I’ll certainly have a working prototype to share this year.

What are your melodica plans and goals for the year ahead?

Hamad Rajab
    Participant

well first i would like to wish everyone a happy 2017, mine is to to somehow build a MIDI melodica and of course to better myself as a musician and human being to the maximum effect.

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Daren,

great to hear about your melodica plans! I was planning on constructing a melodica myself but unfortunately I’m not half as skilled as you or Melodica-me; so I had to find somebody to help me building my dream melodica, and I did! It will still take a lot of time until we’ll have a prototype ready, but as he works for an accordion manufacturer we might be lucky enough to build a little series of these instruments. I hope that this will take place during 2017, I’ll let you know!

Daren
    Keymaster

Hamad, it seems that you’re not the only one here who’d like to make a midi melodica. Have you made any plans? Maybe you should start a new thread with your ideas…:-)

Daren
    Keymaster

Quetscher, that’s great news! I started the journey by looking for someone to make me an instrument. I travelled around and met people, but couldn’t find anyone. That’s when I realised I had to learn to make one myself. Really looking forward to seeing what you and your helper come up with. Let me know if I can help in any way

Paul Durham
    Participant

Had to scale back a little and scrap plans for the Suzuki MX in view of buying a new keyboard that will require some financing. But I’m looking forward to alot of melodica practice and hopefully alot of improvement. Happy New Year everyone!

Quetscher
    Participant

Surely you can help, and you already do by running this site! At the moment we have a very precise plan about the looks and features of the instrument, but as soon as the prototype is ready I would be glad to hear your opinion not only by watching some photos and listening to some sound examples but by really testing the instrument before we go into serial production – only if you want to, of course…

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Normally, I don’t go for this kind of topic. However — I have two resolutions. One is to focus on my playing and recording and sharing it. The other is, after doing more serious successful work lately on restoring vintage Italian melodicas, to finally seriously tackle restoration of the Clavietta, making use of Oscar’s silicone washers. I currently have two Claviettas, one supposedly already restored but far too leaky, the other otherwise looking pretty good but even more leaky.

The melodica building efforts are truly exciting, Daren’s, Oscars and others. What is especially encouraging is the musicality of our members who are making these efforts. That’s what I find really special about these initiatives.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I am really looking forward to 2017, first, The Monsters of Melodica will be doing another recording in April along with our second world recording where we invite other Melodica players from around the planet to join us and to share their Melodica talents. More on this in Febuary. Second now that I have built my first Melodica, I want to improve on the design and hopefully start a new one before the start of summer. With that, I want to purchase a micro or mini lathe for my tiny Melodica workshop so I can make miniature parts that I cannot make on my mini mill. Third, I have not been able to put as much time into practing the Melodica as I have wanted this year due to that dreaded “work thing” that makes it possible for me to do the “Melodica thing” so I am now back to my minimum of (1) hour a day during the week and (2) hours a day during the weekend. “Live long and practice I say” well that’s it for now, and don’t forget I am always available to help with any questions you may have.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Daren
    Keymaster

MM, I think we’ve both embarked on a journey of no return with our instrument building, and now Quetscher has joined us, and I’m sure there’s other experimenters out there looking to materialise their dream instrument. I found a lathe great for making a mouthpiece, but I’ll be 3D printing my next mouthpiece in food safe ceramics. What else do you have in your workshop?

Alan, really looking forward to your Clavietta restorations, be careful though, its a slippery slope into modifications, and than just building a new one!

Quetscher, I’d be delighted to help with testing, maybe you can test mine too 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button