Reply To: Tokai Gakki PC-1

Alan Brinton
Participant

I removed the black lid by using a small screwdriver to pry it loose in the corners and along the edges. It seemed stuck, but it loosened gradually and then I slowly lifted it up from the mouthpiece end, which provides leverage. It was not glued and removing it caused no damage. The rim of the black metal cover has to be separated from the white gasket. It sticks to the white gasket, but the gasket is hard and was not damaged by gradually forcing those two pieces apart. You have to be careful not to damage the gasket with the screwdriver or other tool. I would say Yes, that the black cover has to be peeled off forcefully, but slowly and gradually. Jerking it off will probably damage the white gasket.

Separation of the keyboard from the wooden body was much more difficult and should be avoided if possible, because that is when things start to fall apart, and because of all the tiny nails that help hold it together. I have to glue key pads back on and figure out how to get all those nails in place. I’m not sure whether I can get it all back together. I am waiting until I have more time to try. I made the decision to do whatever was necessary to get it apart since there was no other way to replace a key pad. And I wanted to see what was inside regardless of the consequences.

Back to top button