Yamaha Pianica P-37E – My Report

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

On mine, I am using the P-37D keyboard, and in fact the whole internal works of the P-37D. So there’s no difference in the keyboard action. But the sound is quite different, which must result from the enclosure, the different plastic and the absorbant strip. I’ll be interested, though, to hear what you think of the P-37D when you get it, Frederic. But the key action may be affected by air pressure resistance with the P-37E. I think key action is generally tighter on Yamahas than on Suzukis or Hammonds.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thank you for your answer. I would be interested to know if before the modification of the P37E in a brilliant hybrid model, you had been challenged by the weakness (or not) of the keyboard mechanism in comparison to the P37D that you already had. I would also be very interested by the opinion Daren on this aspect (playability / keyboard) of P37E compared to P37D.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I can’t remember. My immediate impression was that the instrument needed tuning, and so I started working on it and ended up with the hybrid. Also, though I frequently play the smaller Yamahas, I had never played the P-37D much. I could be wrong in saying that with my hybrid there’s no difference in the key action, since that may be affected by the need for increased air pressure, which I do notice on the high end keys.

Daren
    Keymaster

I found the keyboard to be the same as the P37D, but the airflow more restricted – it takes a lot more breath.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Daren thank you for your opinion. What I understand is that it is normal that there are keys on the keyboards that rub and stick a little … and that it is on the P37D or the P37E of yamaha. It’s a little surprising when you come from Suzuki and Hohner …

Daren
    Keymaster

I haven’t had any rubbing keys yet, but sometimes, if I haven’t played it for a wile, the keys are a bit stuck on the first press – I just do a quick silent glissando! I haven’t noticed any difference in the keyboard quality between Yamahas and Suzukis, could you have a faulty model?

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thanks Daren for your answer. I wonder if my model would be a little defective or a little less well finished at the keyboard …. it disturbs me lol

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’m a bit confused jumping between threads, but I see that Daren has brought up the phenomenon I was just talking about in the other thread, and he deals with it as I do.

I doubt that your Yamaha is defective. They have excellent quality control. One thing you could check, though, is whether the spacing is even between the keys, which is easy to see and to adjust. If you take it apart, you can also inspect to see whether any key mechanisms are misaligned, though that’s unlikely.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thanks Alan. At the time of my control, at the reception of the instrument (new from Japan), I noticed, even before having put the instrument on my lips, that there was in the central part of the keyboard a infine curve in “U”, but very weak … you know when you look at a piece of wood to see if it is right … looking at the P37E the same way under different angles I found this very light curve which gives a slight unevenness of the pitch of the keys on an octave (from E to E) in the central zone of the keyboard. Maybe that would be an indicator ….

Daren
    Keymaster

I don’t have an instrument to hand right now, but I have noticed a slight curve in melodicas before.While this could potentially affect the mechanics, I’m not sure how it would influence the pitch, as this is set by the individual reeds?

FREDERIC
    Participant

thank you for your help in identifying this phenomenon …. when you have the instrument in your hands can you confirm me or not the slight curve please?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The curve phenomenon has come up before in our past discussions.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Alan, “The curve phenomenon”, not with me … we were discussing before keys that can stick and rub on the P37E. Following your observations and your advice of November 17, I expressed this observation I made at the reception of the instrument

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Yes, that’s the original comment that I had in mind. The visual observation has been made in earlier discussion. Someone wondered if a newly received melodica should be returned as defective.

FREDERIC
    Participant

thanks again for all your comments that help greatly !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button