Yamaha Pianica P-22 1975-82

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Gianluca recently found an inquiry about this rare and unique model on reddit. I was able to identify it from a Yamaha parts list. The P-22 has a profile that is somewhat similar to my beloved yellow Suzuki Study II 25. (“We all live in a Yellow Submarine.”) Below are images of this model and, for comparison, the early 1960s Pianica 22, and then the reddit link. Both of these models are distinguished by having a slide-in case. The most distinctive feature of the 1970s model is the handle. The original Pianica 22 is a metal tray model, while the later P-22’s enclosure is all-plastic.

Does anyone recognize this Yamaha Pianica? It has the same key pattern as the Yamaha 22 but this is more modern looking. Can’t find one like this on Google. Looking for the model number and any other info. Thanks very much. from melodica

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Okay, but $99.99 is as high as I’ll go. We should have told reddit that it is sometimes on sale at Yahoo Japan Auctions for 1000 yen.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Bidding 101: This is not the normal way to bid, since the bidding doesn’t close for another six days. At a low starting bid, we should bid the minimum, if at all, early. But the serious bidding should come at the end, and we should time our final maximum bid so it leaves no time for a response. This is, however, an item whose minimum has been inflated by information we provided (“extremely rare”), and it’s unlikely that it would otherwise get any bids at this price. At this price, it would make more sense as a “Buy Now” item with a “Best Offer” option. Because I have a special interest as a collector, I’m willing to pay $99.99. It does not have this high of a market value. Possibly someone here is willing to place a higher bid. If so, that’s fine with me.

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

I had no clue the guy was going to place it on ebay… He should have told us!
    Wasn’t it better to let the auction go deserted? Just asking…

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Maybe so, but I’ve just been outbid, so no harm done. But this does pose a dilemma of sorts. I like to just answer the question, but a more crafty approach would be to respond to the inquiry with “I don’t know, but if you have it are you interested in selling it?”

My guess is that the P-22 is essentially the same as an early P-25 from the same time period except for the number of keys and the nifty handle endpiece. I have those models, and the development of that series culminated in the P-25E and P-25F. So who needs a P-22. There. I’ve talked myself out of spending 100 for something I don’t need. I’ll be playing my espresso refinished 25E this morning.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The handle would make a lot more sense on a P-37 or P-32. On this one it just gets in the way of the spit button. Who in his right mind would bid on such an item? It’s the Edsel of Pianicas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button