Yamaha P37E

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

A video of the new Yamaha P37E. Thanks Pianonymous 😉

And here’s another one…

And some info here (in Japanese)

Alan Brinton
    Participant

This one I must have, especially at 13,000 Yen. Supposed to be out in June. Interesting that it is being presented as an “Adult” instrument, rather than “professional,” which has lost its punch. Time to grow up.

Crafty folks over there at Yamaha. The people in the maketing department at Suzuki Music must be tearing their hair out over this one. We melodicans are so fortunate to have both these companies. Suzuki has been so innovative, Yamaha so focused, consistent and conservative after starting out with Tokai Gakki’s ingenious designs.

Let’s hope for a Suzuki counter-offensive and for some 32 key versions of these new models. Not all us adults prefer 37 keys. This might be problematic for Yamaha, though, if all the school kids start getting a 32 key “adult” model. Dare I ask for an adult P-25G? I’ll pay 13,000 Yen plus 5,000 Yen shipping.

We live in exciting times.

Daren
    Keymaster

I’ve often wondered how I could truly feel like an adult – I think this may be the answer!

There may be some subtle adult differences to the sound, with use of their newly developed “biomass-derived resin”, they’ve called Ecodia, and sound absorbing material which rebalances the harmonics. There’s also “optimised” graded hole sizes in the gasket under the key pads:

Yamaha P37E gasket

I’m actually really looking forward to hearing what this sounds like. Yamaha don’t tend to bring out new models for no reason!

pianonymous
    Participant

In Japan, This news is reported various media including television.
    Amon japamese melodicician, “Why <for adults>” is being debated on SNS.
    I’ll try to visit Yamaha head-shop this month and check themt before the launch.
    My best interest about P-37E is….gasket!!!

ooooOOOO□□□□□□□□□□□□ 

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Interesting, when Suzuki originally started advertising the Hammond 44 it was based on a professional sound for the professional musicians, could it be that Yamaha is seaking this market as well as the un tapped non professional adult market? The youth market is being overwhelmed by the low cost melodeon that all known and unknown manufactures are producing now, adults are willing to pay a more for a quality instrument especially if they are “made” for adults and not children.
    Melodica-Me

Paul Durham
    Participant

Alan, how nuch is 13,000 yen in American dollars?

Paul Durham
    Participant

We should be cautious about labeling the less expensive end of the market “FOR CHILDREN”. I have purchased many of these to inspect and have found most very good. I can’t say how long they would play in tune or how long less expensive reeds would be reliable, but as many of us have said in the past, they make a great intreduction to the world of melodicas for adults as well as school children.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

13,000 Yen is about $120 U.S., Paul.

It has been more difficult, in Japan, to avoid having the melodica thought of as merely a toy, because of the longstanding requirement that Japanese children own one and learn to play it in school. So it is associated with elementary education. Ironically, they use Japanese melodicas, especially the Yamaha P-32, not Chinese ones.

I agree with you that inexpensive melodicas don’t sound bad and make good beginner instruments. Almost all melodicas on the market today are reliable. In Asia, melodica innovation and quality construction have been almost exclusively Japanese. So far, the Chinese contribution has been to make copies for mass production. They also are now producing Hohner melodicas, since the Hohner company decided to place its emphasis on mass marketing. As to the quality of the new Hohners, opinions differ.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Paul, my point is that melodica manufactures and sellers gear sales of melodicas in the $15,00 to $35.00 range to youth. They are in bright colors that children like “Pink” “Blue” “Green” and usually state “Beginner” “Student” “Plastic wind instrument” “Fun and suitable for children” “Gift” “Musical education instrument” in their advertisement. After the $35.00 range they start to drop these words.There is definitely a difference in the materials used on the lower cost melodicas than in the melodicas that cost over $100.00 from the more known manufactures, especially the big three, Suzuki, Yamaha and Hohner.
    There is no reason or douht that a lower cost melodica can’t be used by an adult or even a professional musician (which they have). I regularly advise new players to start with these low cost melodicas to see if they like playing the melodica. Once they do and if they want to move up to a higher grade one, they can do their research and find one that fits their needs. I am actually excited that these advertisment show adults playing the new P-37E. Its moving the melodica a step closer to becoming an instrument as common as the guitar, piano, string and wind instruments. Its all good 🙂
    Melodica-Me

Binyomin
    Participant

Thanks for posting about these. They look interesting! Are these available yet?

Kevin
    Participant

Certainly the black hose gives it a more professional appearance!
    The white hoses look a bit odd at best and like a piece of respiratory medical equipment at worst.

Is this going to replace the venerable P-37D?
    Are they going to be available in the U.S.?

Paul Durham
    Participant

Black hoses are now available as an aftermarket upgrade on Ebay … and yes I think they add a certain elegance.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The P-37E (in black or brown) is scheduled for release on June 6 and available for pre-order on Amazon Japan, but not for delivery to the U.S. There’s no reason to think it will not be available for U.S. delivery within a few months.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

“Adult pianica adopts biomass-derived resin “Ecodia” as the material of the lower body, and adds sound absorbing material to the inside bottom. In addition, newly developed valve packing is adopted in order to optimize the sound balance of each range while suppressing excessive higher order harmonics. We change the opening size in low, mid, and wide range, optimize the balance of each range, making it easy to control with breath.”

Kevin
    Participant

I’d like to believe our humble forum here has contributed to both the big melodica companies re-thinking their market and coming out with new “adult”,”professional” models.
    I don’t know that their melodica departments monitor our site but it seems it would be in their best interests to pay attention to what we are writing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button