Yamaha 32 (vintage)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Look in this forum for my thread on the Yamaha (Gakki) 25. What you’re getting is the 32 key version of that Pianica 25. When you get it, measure the length of the white keys and see if they are 3 and 3/8 inches. The original Pianica 32 has shorter keys than that. It was issued in 1961, and I believe the Pianica 25 came out in 1962. My Pianicas 25 (2 of them) are “Artist Ltd.” which were distributed in America but made in Japan. It looks exactly like the 32 you’re getting, except for the length. If it has the longer (and wider) keys (i.e., what was then established as the standard size for Yamaha Pianicas, then Bingo, you have something very special. The original Pianica 32 and Pianica 25 are very good melodicas and seem to come in good working order. I’ll be very interested in what you think of it. Also, if I’m not mistaken, these were the first melodicas to come with a tube. I’m also interested iin whether yours says “Yamaha” on it or just “Pianica 25.”

Weijie
    Participant

I have a similar one in a blue case which I bought in a second hand shop in Singapore. I just thought that it looks like an interesting instrument. I bought it for fun. Attached are the pics.

Blue case Tokai Pianica

Tokai pianica in blue case

Sticker made in Japan on pianica

Pianica Close up view

Back portion Pianica

Tube portion

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Yep, that looks like the one I have coming.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Very nice, Weijie! I love the bottom of this Pianica. Thanks for posting the photos. So it is the 32A. I notice two things now. First, it has an attractive plastic case. The photo I had seen earlier showed a soft case, the same kind as came with the original Pianica 32. That soft case has a crummy zipper (I have two of them, both broken) and doesn’t have room for a tube. The plastic case probably means this one was made later than the one in the photo I had seen (but still early 1960s). Second, the tube (as with Adam’s) has two segments. I have one that came to me with a Pianica 32, though it may have been added by a previous owner (since it doesn’t fit in the case). The tubes on the first Pianicas were too short for an adult to play with the Pianica sitting on a desk or in the lap. This tube is two of those; the one that attaches to the mouthpiece is an extension.

It looks like you got a real bargain there, in Singapore dollars no less. But I think these old Pianicas are ridiculously undervalued in the marketplace in any case (pun intended). This is a whole lot of melodica and history for the cost of a few beers.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The double tube also comes with some 1960s Suzuki Melodions.

Can either of you guys give me key length and width for your Pianica 32A? My measurements don’t include the part of a key that is covered — just the exposed part of the key. And I’m rounding off to within 0.1 cm. For the original Pianica 32, white keys are 6.8 X 1.7cm, black keys 3.7 X .7cm.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

I will be happy to provide some measurements as soon as it turns up in the post.

Regards,

Adam

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Its marked as yamaha pianica 32. Just received it in the mail. A little worse for wear as the seller did not pack it very well. Nothing too serious. Will update with pics this weekend. At least all the reeds work although the keys are a little sticky.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The keys are sticky on these, and they continue to be sticky. I just run my hand down the keyboard a couple of times before playing.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/Chuditch_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150324_190214.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/Chuditch_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150324_190127.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/Chuditch_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150324_190024.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/Chuditch_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150324_190037.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/Chuditch_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150324_190201.jpg

So here are a few more pics of my Yamaha Pianica 32. It came a little beat up in the post thanks to the seller not packing it correctly. I replaced one of the screws that had apparently come loose and dissapeared and tightened the remaining screws. I would say it has had very little use, the keys in the most commonly played space (the middle range) are looser and less stiff to play than either bass or treble ends of the keyboard. Sound is fantastic, loud, stable and in tune with a lot of room for using expression.

The keys do stick and it has nothing to do with lack of lubrication… I lubricated where it would seem to need it with silicon lube (in tiny modest amounts). It’s the first Yamaha melodica I have owned and it certainly lives up to all the positive reviews of the Yamaha melodicas I have read on this site.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Lovely. Now, about those key measurements? Longer than 6.7cm for the part of the white key that shows, right? Also, did it come with the second, extended mouthpiece (about 15cm)?

I’m also interested in which you think about the plunger moisture venting mechanism, Adam.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

8.8cm x 1.7cm for the white keys and 5.2cm x .8cm for the black. Not a big fan of the sliding moisture drain thingy but I can live with it. A little silicon spray helped the sliding mechanism greatly.

Yes it came with the second extended mouthpiece but I am pretty sure it was a late addition. It has the blue carry box too which is actually a good bit of kit.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks! Wow, those keys are even longer than those of a new Yamaha P-32D. This confirms my view that the Pianica 32A is a significant jump toward Pianica modernity from the Pianica 32. I just got (just now opened) a P-32D that was made in Japan rather than in Indonesia. It looks identical at first glance, but I’m anxious to play it, take it apart, and make some close comparisons. The long mouthpiece with my Pianica 32 looks old and worn. I started out thinking it was a later addition, but maybe these were actually original equipment, especially considering the small diameter of the mouthpiece receptacle on the 32 and the exact fit and color match. I like this extended mouthpiece. More to come!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Adam,

I think you are right about the mouthpiece being added later. It looks like it’s this Hohner, which I also have with my Pianos 36 and which fits them perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hohner-HMA-80-Mouthpiece-for-Hohner-HM36-Melodica-/400750903039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4e9d7eff

It’s interesting that the fit is so exact.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Hmmm ok Alan. I think we have crossed wires a little here. I was referring to the second extended tube mouthpiece (the ‘hose’) I recieved two of these with the Pianica 32. The mouthpiece pictured in my latest pics is the Yamaha mouthpiece that comes with the Pianica 32. There is a special storage space for it in the blue carry case. The Hohner mouthpiece you have provided in your ebay link is indeed the one that fits the Piano 36. Yes the mouthpieces appear to be interchangeable between the Pianica 32 and the Piano 36.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Of course, you are probably referring to the Hohner mouthpiece as being a part of your new addition Alan.

Thanks

Adam

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button