What kind Of Sheet Music?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mick
    Participant

Hi everyone
    What kind of sheet music or song book can I use to play on my melodica?
    I mean for what kind of instrument originally. I assume it would be for
    piano, but I am not sure.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have found that the sheet music sites for flute, trumpet, and sax work well. But also sites for Jazz with lead sheets, and there’s all kinds of stuff if you happen to have Band-in-a-Box (BIAB), from which you can print lead sheets with melody (and much more). It depends what genres of music you want to play. Basically, you want melody lines, preferably with chords indicated. The simplest version of BIAB is about $100, and it provides all kinds of accompaniment options; and there are sites with all kinds of BIAB tune files in all genres. BIAB takes an investment of learning it (gradually). I think the few books of sheet music specifically for melodica are pointless. Good luck, and welcome!

mick
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Alan and the welcome. I will certainly look into BIAB etc.

Craig Sullivan
    Participant

Hi all, first post on the board and new to the melodica (very much hoped-for and appreciated Christmas gift). On this topic, how about oboe compositions? Just looking around various sites today I found a lot of oboe/piano arrangements of varying difficulty (my wife can accompany), and importantly for me the range works well and no transposition is required. 8notes.com had a number of good arrangements to suit my “skill” level and tastes. Free-scores.com did as well; still perusing MuseScore’s offerings too. Definitely looking into purchasing BIAB; thanks for that suggestion, Alan. Looking forward to learning and improving in the upcoming weeks and months!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Welcome, Craig. Since you’re interested in Christian music, it might be worth spending some time with an old fashioned hymn book, especially if you want to do some work with chords. I do this, even though it’s not my preferred kind of music. The hymns are familiar to me from my youth, have easy chording, and are usually not hard to play by ear. Once you get into BIAB, there are massive collections of free tunes, which it will transpose into whatever key you want and print. And there are, of course, lots of sites with Christian music. Also lots of inspiring stuff to play along with by the Blind Boys of Alabama, for example. Sax, clarinet, and trumpet sheet music works well, and oboe should be great.

barb
    Participant

Hi Craig,
    Welcome. Beware that your first melodica will not be your last!
    Have you found IMSLP for classical music? It’s free
    Lots of originals and arrangements. Do you know of the Telemann oboe sonatas?

Craig Sullivan
    Participant

Alan – thanks for the great advice. You’re absolutely right about the hymn book, don’t know why it didn’t immediately occur to me. Even before reading that bit of advice I had tinkered with a couple of familiar hymns and carols by ear.

beezer – my son also recommended that site, and I’ve started rooting around. Thank you as well!

FWIW my wife the pianist has seen how much fun I’m having with the melodica and she’s thinking about getting one for herself! Maybe I’ll surprise her with one for Valentine’s Day…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button