What kind of melodica is this ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Martin
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m new here. I’m a drummer and I’m heavily influenced by a band that uses a melodica. I would like to start playing melodica in my band too.
    Does anyone happen to know what model of melodica he is using in this video ? => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUnC13LLwc (look between 3:45 and 3:55 for example)

Thank you !

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Martin and welcome to the club!

The guy in the video plays a Suzuki Pro37 V2. According to the reviews it’s a melodica that isn’t loved by everyone, but Jon Batiste plays it nearly exclusively and seems to be very content with that instrument (you may have a look at the video section and watch his interview or listen to him playing).

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Suzuki Pro-37v2. I believe (and I know some others agree) that the Suzuki M-37C is better, even though it’s cheaper. The “high end” look of the Pro 37 is cosmetic and superficial, though it is in fact a nice looking melodica. In my opinion, again, the M-37C has a cleaner sound. My favorite among the Suzukis is the M-32C — you might find it easier to begin with a 32 key melodica. Also quite nice is the Suzuki A-34C. Note that it has an unusual range of keys for a melodica. I think all three of these other models are superior to the Pro-37, they are cheaper but have a real solid quality feel, comparable key action, and somewhat better sound than the Pro-37v2 (though this is of course somewhat subjective. The Yamaha Pianicas are also excellent. My opinions as a melodica hobbyist who has owned, taken apart, and tuned all the aforementioned. But check the Reviews section and look at reviewers’ profiles, to see what the professional musicians say.

Melodica World
    Keymaster

David replied:

Hi Alan, I’ve just bought my first melodica which is the alto 37 MyLodica. Looks very nice as everyone agrees but very disappointing to find no spit hole. Someone suggested the angel melodyhorn 37 as being the nearest thing to it. I thought of buying one and then inserting in the wooden mylodica case and adapting the wooden case so the valve on the angel can function. I don’t know why The MyLodica makers didn’t do this themselves. Moisture build up is very quick and as pointed out can warp the wood. I did wonder if I could open up the valve they have blockedoff/tampered with/cut off on the Mylodica and get it goinga. Have you thought along these lines at all?
    David.

Melodica World
    Keymaster

Alan replied:

Enabling a spit valve is a great idea, David. Reliable authorities have reported that the alto Mylodica actually contains the Melodyhorn. I have the soprano Mylodica, which I know contains the Suzuki S-32C soprano melodion (I have another S-32C). The S-32C inside my Mylodica has been sealed off at the end inside the wooden case (by melting it, I guess), so that major surgery would be required to tune and also (on both the inner melodica and the wooden casing) to create a new spit valve mechanism.

I thought about options when I first opened up my Mylodica, including the possibility of replacing the inner soprano S-32C with a Suzuki alto M-32C and somehow opening up the end of the Mylodica so the M-32C remains intact with its spit valve accessible. The M-32C and the S-32C have the same dimensions. I really like the M-32C but don’t care for the S-32C. So I think we’ve thought along the same lines. I’m interested in any thoughts you might have about how to modify the wooden case. I have a friend who is a wood carver, and I’ve thought about asking him.

Another possibility with your Mylodica might be to find a good 32 (or 34?) key melodica with the right dimensions and a workable spit valve for this application, one that would fit and leave its spit valve exposed in the extra keyboard space, with a vent hole opening at the end or in the bottom. The general idea being to mount a smaller melodica in the Mylodica box with some working space for its spit mechanism. I’m probably not crafty enough for such a project, though.

Martin
    Participant

Thanks for your answers ! I will probably look for a somewhat cheaper melodica than the pro-37v2 to start with. Maybe a Suzuki M-37C if I can find one in a european shop !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button