What 37 keys Melodica should I buy?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Binyomin
    Participant

D Cook, I play klezmer on the melodica. You can play klezmer on pretty much any melodica, depending on the sound you’re looking for. I mainly use the Hammond 44 and Hammond 44 HP for this purpose, as well as a Suzuki Pro37V2 at times.

In general, I think the “warmer” sounding melodicas like the original Hammond 44 (not the HP) or perhaps something like the Yamaha P37D are “fuller” sounding choices, especially for solo/small group playing,but it really depends on the sound you’re going for and the band you’re playing with. I find the Hammond 44 HP often cuts through better when I play klezmer with my rock/ska/reggae/world fusion project.

Dee Cook
    Participant

Thanks!

Paul Durham
    Participant

D,. I have seen the Samick’s a couple of times and they do seem to have many similarities to Angel and Suzuki. I have not heard one as yet. But I would think that one important feature to check for would be the metal back which is common on the higher level Suzuki. I have an M32C that I purchased on Ebay and I enjoy the added sound of the metallic ring.

Noa Castillo
    Participant

Paul, which do you think is better, yahaha or woodnote, in terms of tuning?

Paul Durham
    Participant

Noa, one reason I bought the woodnote was that in pictures it seemed so much like the Yamaha. But side by side the Yamaha is far above the winner in quality. Now, I have no problem with the tuning of my woodnote as yet. But in terms of tone it is much lighter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Concertina is a pretty challenging instrument to learn. It just makes sense to play the same notes on a familiar instrument.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button