What 37 keys Melodica should I buy?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Noa Castillo
    Participant

Pleeeeaaaase help me, I want a new melodica with all the keys intuned. I want a melodica with a clarinety or woodwind sound. I’m thinking of buying a Suzuki M-37 but my question is are those M-37 intuned because I have a Suzuki M-32C and I just spent 4 hours straight tuning all the keys. My number one priority is that it should be intune. Is there a brand of melodica that is tuned very well? Thank You!

Aaron Levitz
    Participant

In my experience, they all go out of tune eventually, no matter what condition they arrive in. Expect you’ll have to make some adjustments sooner or later.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have Suzuki M-32C, M-37C, and A-34C and all came reasonably well tuned. Current Yamaha and Suzuki metal tray melodicas are not likely to arrive noticeably out of tune, Noa. But I have tuned them and this will be necessary eventually, as Aaron has observed, if you are finicky about tuning. These models are typically reasonably well in tune with themselves but sharp, closer to A=442 than to A=440. I tune some down from the vicinity of 442 or 443 to 440 or 441. The more tning you do, the quicker it goes, especially once you have it to the standard you want.

Noa Castillo
    Participant

Thank you Alan and Aaron for your replies. My last question is what brand of melodica has a clarinety-melo sound?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Very subjective question for me, Noa! There are two Suzukis that in my opinion have the closest thing to a woodwind sound, both discontinued models: the MA-32 and its smaller cousin, the short-key Study II. They are both somewhat finicky in terms of tuning and how they handle moisture, but they’re delightful instruments (in my opinion, again). I can play you a sound sample, if you like, though not at the moment. An MA-32 isn’t hard to find, the Study II is rarer.

Otherwise, maybe a Yamaha.

Noa Castillo
    Participant

Thank you Alan!? Now my task is to browse online and look for a Suzuki MA-32 that I can buy.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Go to Buyee, which is a Japanese auction buying service and search for the Suzuki Melodion MA-32. You can find one there at a low price. It’s easy to get a winning bid, usually at the starting price. The main cost is shipping. To the U.S. it is about $40, but you can get slower cheaper shipping if you check the options. They are very reliable on delivery. Most of these are yellow, but sometimes you’ll see one in blue, which might be an MF-32.

Noa Castillo
    Participant

Thank you Alan!

Paul Durham
    Participant

I just purchased a woodnote brand on amazon. I found the tone extremely ‘CLARINETY’. These are currently very well priced on both amazon and ebay.

Paul Durham
    Participant

I finally landed on the right thread for our discussion. I have not played with any other instrument to compare them but they are very reasonably in tune with themselves. Especially my yamaha which I did play in octaves and a few triads to get some sense of how well tuned it is. I have not run into any stuck notes or failed notes even in two used horns — one suzuki and a melodyhorn which is now with a friend. One reason that I have another Suzuki MX on order is their stronger (SAXOPHONE) type of sound. I’ve just been playing on the Woodnote brand today and decided to keep it for it’s clear bright tone.

Dee Cook
    Participant

Looking for a melodica to play French musette style pieces on, so less of a harmonica type sound, something that goes more to the accordion/concertina sound for this type of music at least.
    In another forum I read that that the Angel Melodyhorn 37 has a concertina like sound.

It also sounds from Lowboys experiments with connections and tubing that I might deepen sound that way?

Any comments? Suggestions for other melodicas?

Dee Cook
    Participant

Looking for a melodica to play French musette style pieces on, so less of a harmonica type sound, something that goes more to the accordion/concertina sound for this type of music at least.
    In another forum I read that that the Angel Melodyhorn 37 has a concertina like sound.

It also sounds from Lowboys experiments with connections and tubing that I might deepen sound that way?

Any comments? Suggestions for other melodicas?

Dee Cook
    Participant

Also, has anyone tried Klezmer music on the melodica? Suggestions for melodica for same?

Paul Durham
    Participant

I have had an angel melodyhorn and it is now passed along to a friend. But yes, it is definitely a great choice for a concertina type sound.

Dee Cook
    Participant

Thanks – I just ordered one!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button