Vintage Hohner Soprano Melodica 26— where to buy reeds?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany Duke
    Participant

I have a vintage soprano melodica made in Germany and it needs 1 or 2 new reeds. Does anyone know if it’s possible to still get reeds for this model?

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Tiffany, these are nice little melodicas, but they’re so old, I don’t think you’ll be able to find replacement reeds. Also several reeds are fixed on to one reed plate, so you’d be looking at replacing the whole reed plate. I’d suggest looking for secondhand models that aren’t working. The chances are that the reeds are still in tact, and can be used to replace yours.

Tiffany Duke
    Participant

It’s the Hohner HM900 Soprano Melodica.
    See below photos to see what the reeds look like,I’ve marked the problematic reed. it doesn’t make any sound. if replacement reeds aren’t available does anyone know any likely repairs? Is there anyway to one could make a custom reed oneself that could potentially work on this model? Thanks for the help!

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Daren is right about this, Tiffany. This model is very easy to find on eBay, often very cheap. Unless you want to try to fix this one out of an interest in experimentation, it’s best to just find another one, probably to simply replace this one, though, rather than to find replacement reeds.

However, have you tried adjusting the gap? That is, the space between the tip of the reed and the reed plate. It looks like it may be too far open. You can adjust it by carefully pushing and holding it down below the space with a toothpick. If the gap is too wide or too narrow, the reed won’t sound. But it is evident that someone has been scraping around on that reed and trying to get it to work, probably making matters worse.

One other thing: when a reed fails, it’s usually because of tiny fractures or fatigue in the metal, for which there is no cure, just as “there is no cure for love.”

Daren
    Keymaster

One other thing: when a reed fails, it’s usually because of tiny fractures or fatigue in the metal, for which there is no cure, just as “there is no cure for love.”

Alas, yes, Alan is right, “there’s nothing pure enough to be a cure for love” But one can sometimes find solace in a full set of finely tuned and gapped reeds.

Kevin
    Participant

Hi Tiffany,
    I think Alan is right. I can see in the photo the non-working reed is much higher than any of the other reeds. You can tell by the way the cast shadow is longer and fuller. Too much of a gap and it lets air pass through the hole.
    Another thing to check is if there is anything in the melodica that’s blocking the air-flow. It’s a fairly old model so there has been plenty of years for something to get in there. Insects,spiders,pennies cheese-puffs the list is endless.
    When you press just that key do you hear air-flowing or does it feel like you are blowing into something solid (stopped-up)?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button