Vintage Hohner Melodica Professional restoration — need a reed

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

Clep, I want to say maybe 3 years or 4 years ago. It’s a different type of rubber, not like rubber bands. The silicone material will last a very long time. Message me on our Monsters of Melodica Facebook page and send me your address and I will send you a small piece of silicon material.
    Melodica-Me.

Clep
    Participant

This is the best forum on the internet. 🙂

I’m not a facebooker… would it be possible to connect over email? I just put an email address in my melodicaworld.com profile.

Thanks a bunch.

Clep
    Participant

Got the silicone/felt samples, thanks!

I’m curious if you happen to know the Shore hardness of the thinner silicone? From this link, it seems like it might be around A20 or A30 or so?

I was thinking of getting some A10 or A20, but yeah, wow, $72 shipped for a 12″x12″ sheet on eBay… ouch.

I’ll start by seeing which reeds are leaking in the first place. Maybe MM’s sheet will be enough for the worst offenders.

Thanks again!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Clep, I will have to check in a few days when I return home. It’s been a couple of years since I purchased this material. It was actually used as a reed gasket on my Diamanté Wind Vox #001. The intent was to use this gasket so I could change reeds on the fly. The system worked but the problem is that if you tightened the reeds to tight you could cut the silicone and air would leak through. On the Diamanté #002 I did not use this system. There are pictures of the silicone application on “My Melodica Shop” on Pinterest. You will need to look close as you know the material is clear. I think the second silicone (non adhesive back) would probably work better since it a a little thicker and can give a little more than the thinner version and will form to the opening more allowing less air to escape.
    Good luck and please post so others can see you progress.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Clep
    Participant

Thanks!

I’m currently investigating some pourable silicone products and brush-on silicone products used in mold-making (from smooth-on.com). Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to pour out a thin sheet of silicone that way, and if the brushable stuff works out that’d be a neat way to build up a pad on a valve without having to make a sheet first and then cut & glue. Will keep you all updated on how that goes!

Clep
    Participant

FYI — new thread about this HM Professional attempted restoration here: https://melodicaworld.com/forums/topic/hohner-melodica-professional-restoration-2/

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button