Vintage Hohner Melodica Professional restoration — need a reed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Clep, the best way is to remove a small portion of wax at the end of the reed and pry the reed out with a sharp knife, it will come out easy. Now you can chip the wax out when the reed is removed, mush easier. When you are ready to replace the reed simply lightly brush a little hot wax on the frame place, sit the reed in and then brush some wax around the reed. I have used this method several times and works perfect. Brushing the wax on is easier than if you pour there wax on. use a thin artist brush I use the ones that you can get 10 for $5 USD cheap ones 3/32. For only one reed you can heat up a teaspoon spoon of wax over a candle or stove top.
    hope this helps
    Melodica-Me

Clep
    Participant

It sure does, thanks!

Clep
    Participant

Whelp, replaced the reed, put a pad back on, fixed a broken key, and took it for a test drive… sounds really good! Still pretty leaky, though. I replaced the main gaskets and it’s not much better, so I wonder if it’s the pads.

Unfortunately, the low G reed is also apparently bad — it’s sounding at a slightly flat F. This makes me thing the reed might be about to snap? Is that a fair guess? There is nothing obstructing the reed or whatever — it’s just very, very flat (and has no signs of having been tuned in any abnormal way, etc.)

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Clep, yes it is way out of range. You can tune it and if it goes out of tune quickly the reed is probably cracked. And yes it sound like you have leaks on some of the pads. Working on your melodica is the best way to understand how it works and what to look for when you need to make repair. If anything Clep, you are gathering lots of experience.
    Melodica-Me

Clep
    Participant

Is it common for repairpersons in the melodica world to use smoke to find leaks? If so, any recommended sources of smoke? (besides cigars, etc, which are not for me. 🙂 )

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Clep, what I have done is the soap and water method. With an eye dropper and some liquid soap and water, place a few drops, enough to wet the pads fully, blow with out pressing a key and see if you can see any bubbles around the area you wet with soapy water. If so mark and repeat until you identify all the leaks in the pad. You can do the same technique with the main gasket. If you have a hose that you can adapt to the mouth piece hole its a little easier to see.
    Hope this helps you
    Melodica-Me

Clep
    Participant

Thanks! Yes: I was trying to hurry back here and post again to say that I have read all the Pro 36 posts and had seen your recommendation about the soapy water, so you wouldn’t have to repeat yourself again :-), but you beat me to it.

I’m going to see if I can come up with a smoke method just because it seems a little easier… hopefully there is a simple and non-harmful (to me or the instrument!) way to make enough visible smoke.

I had some leaks around the ends of the melodica where the metal plate blocks of the channel through the end blocks (old resin) which I sealed with accordion wax. And I replaced the main gasket with accordion bellows tape so I think it’s holding pretty well.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Clep,

Contact me if you are interested in a parts Pro 36 with full set of perfect reeds, guaranteed.

Alan

Clep
    Participant

I have searched the forum and the internet at large for info on what to use for replacing pads… any tips on that? Melodica-Me, I think I saw a post somewhere where you mention a couple of material options, but I didn’t turn up any details.

Thanks!

(And thanks to Alan! Contacted re: the parts HMP.)

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Clep. I purchased some of this for gasket material and it worked ok, maybe it will work for the pads. I can seem to find any leftovers. I also bought some silicone material with adhesive backer. I can send you a small piece for you to try, it is pretty expensive for a minimal size sheet.

Melodica-Me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/x2-Qty-Rubber-Sheets-1-Piece-Sponge-Foam-Pad-With-Adhesive-9-1-2-x-9-1-2/122811030128?hash=item1c981b9a70:g:5msAAOSwVtZaDL-Q

Clep
    Participant

Thanks! Did you develop any preference between the two materials?

Clep
    Participant

Oh, and: does the rubber ever stick? E.g. first time the key is pressed after not playing for a while?

Clep
    Participant

Last one, I swear: does the key returning to rest make a noticeably different noise with a different pad?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I used the foam rubber one and was ok, did not notice a difference in any key clacking sound. I used the silicon one for gasket but worth a try. It should not stick. Most keys will stick a little due to moisture left on the pad. but should not create a problem or a problem I have seen. I have some felt with sticky back you can try as well.
    Melodica-Me

Clep
    Participant

Thanks! How long have your rubber pads been in use? Any sign of the rubber degrading? I’d just be nervous about the rubber melting like an old rubber band.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button