Video or audio record comparing popular instruments

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rodion
    Participant

Dear Friends and Colleagues!

Could you please point me to some record on youtube or soundcloud with comparison of popular melodicas. I found a few – for example this one Comparison and review of three melodicas – with Hohner, Yamaha and Suzuki – but I’m afraid I could not hear the difference well. Or probably I should use better earphones…

E.g. I’m seeking for some record which can make me more clear what instrument I may want to choose when I’m ready to by next – though currently I’m quite pleased with Hohner Student – this probably could not last long… 🙂 The trouble is that in my city there seems to be no shops selling anything except Hohners so I’ll need to order via ebay etc…

Alan Brinton
    Participant
    Rodion
    Participant

Oh, yes, thanks – that is good! I’ve seen this title but stupidly skipped this video thinking it too short to be of use…

However now I understand why I hear not much difference between Hohner Student and Yamaha P32D – they really sound similarly enough when compared to some other models… For me main difference found in this video is that some melodicas produce more smooth, flute-like sound while others give more saw-like ZZZZ-ish tone – is it correct, or I miss more subtle features?

Rodion
    Participant

(though I understand there could be difference in response the instrument gives, the control over volume etc… – not only in sound style)

Ofir
    Participant

If the Hohner and the Yamaha sound quite similar to you, then you must get better earphones.. 🙂

Alan Brinton
    Participant

This is a difficult topic, Rodion. Distinctions are made between types of sound, and it is sometimes said that one melodica has more of an accordion sound, another more of a harmonica sound, another more of a clarinet sound or whatever. But those are not the same thing as differences in the quality of sound. After reading your comments, I just now spent some time comparing a Hohner Student 32 to my Yamaha P-32D, which is the melodica I play the most. I love the sound of the P-32D and don’t care much for the sound of the Hohner. I suppose they have a somewhat similar type of sound, but in my opinion the quality of their sound is radically different. The Yamaha has a warmer, richer, smoother, more mellow sound. The Hohner has a thinner, tinnier sound with much less character. Such judgments are, of course, somewhat subjective, and most of us are not sure what language to use to adequately describe the differences we hear. Also, I think you have to play the melodicas yourself, and not just hear them played, to get a clear feeling for the differences between melodicas and for your preferences. And it becomes clearer over time as you get used to the particular instrument. It’s sometimes like a beer or a wine that you really like when you first taste it, but it does not stand up over time. After a few occasions drinking it, you find you don’t really like it. Or the reverse happens.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

You won’t be recruited anytime soon for the diplomatic corps, Ofir.

Ofir
    Participant

I was never a good candidate 😉

But seriously, I find the difference between the two quite radical; therefore if such a huge difference cannot be heard then something is faulty at the listener’s side.
    Anyhow, it’s hard enough to find good recordings for getting an accurate impression, then eliminating bad listening equipment may help in this hard enough task.

Rodion
    Participant

You won’t be recruited anytime soon for the diplomatic corps, Ofir.

But Ofir did not say I may need a different set of <b>ears</b> instead, ha-ha, though this also could be the case! 🙂

The Yamaha has a warmer, richer, smoother, more mellow sound. The Hohner has a thinner, tinnier sound with much less character.

I become more and more interested in Yamaha after your explanations! I’m not sure I’m completely satisfied with the sound of Hohner, at least not at the whole range. Luckily it seems I’ve at last found the shop in our place which has Yamahas in stock and hope to get there in a week and test it alive. Surely it is not just to judge by recordings 🙂

Ofir
    Participant

If you can get such an instrument to try, then definitely do it.

The bad thing about these instruments is that many models are quite hard to find locally.
    The good thing though is that most of them are cheap enough to buy online by recommendation.

I remember myself being in your position nearly 6 months ago, with nothing serious that can be found locally to try.
    At least I can guarantee that my audio equipment is terrific. The ears are also ok 😉

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Rodion,

Here is an audio comparison of melodicas I put together. My SoundCloud page also has some other comparisons.

Lowboy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button